PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Canadian Arrow's Engine Tested

Fraser
2003-Nov-21, 06:39 PM
SUMMARY: The Canadian Arrow X-Prize team has performed a successful low-pressure test of their liquid oxygen and ethyl alcohol rocket engine, bringing them one step closer to winning the $10 million X-Prize. The Canadian Arrow is based on the design of a World War II German V-2 rocket, but it's been updated with modern technology. The team has scheduled several more tests of the rocket engine at higher pressures, and hopes to make an actual launch attempt some time in 2004.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.

Luke
2003-Nov-22, 02:54 PM
We will not progress intellectually far enough as the human race untill we stop using the antiquated rocket engine and the planets fossil fuels run out. Belive you me when the above two happen we could experience something like a "Green" wave of new technologies that are harmless to the planet or actually benifit the environment. It does the job but the idea of the rocket dates back (as we all know) to B.C. China. To think that our space race is powered by what is essentially a large fire, leads me to belive that even though no one will amit this that we as a species are pretty thick. If out of over six billion people the best we can do is go into space with fire then we are still cave-men. It is high time that we pooled our human resorces as a global community and not compete against one another as one country try's to out do another. This new approach would greatly benifit all.

Haglund
2003-Nov-22, 04:14 PM
So we use fuel get somewhere, this is hardly unexpected. It's one of many ways to release energy from matter.

Videot
2003-Nov-25, 01:16 AM
I love the idea behind the Prize X, but I do think it could have been set up in a better way to truly stimulate the process. Every participant is going to have to spend a great deal of money just to even look like a genuine contestant. But only one of them, the lucky one that makes it first and lives to tell about it, can hope to re coop any of that cost or share in the joy of the accomplishment. The others will most likely have to can everything they've learned and accomplished because they will be too far in debt to do anything with it (barring the existence of some wealthy benefactors).

Wouldn't it have been better to have multiple smaller prizes? The first 5 could each get $2,000,000, or the first 10 could get $1,000,000 each. It seems like this would have made it much more enticing for participants to join, as they could maintain a reasonable hope of having something to celebrate about at the end of the line. As a general point, I've always thought that competitions where one entry won everything and the others all lost everything were wasteful and discouraging -- to all but the one, that is! If someone else accomplishes the same thing one moment later, after working toward the same goal for years, are they really losers? Perhaps I'm missing something basic about human nature, but...

Josh
2003-Nov-25, 02:30 AM
Videot, $10 million might sound like a whole lot of money but it really isn't. In fact I would even go so far to say that the $10 million isn't evewn on the top of the teams' agendas. When you are spending millions and million just to try and get the thing off the ground in the first place a $10 million prize isn't that much incentive. More likely the "I was first" factor and the possibilities of making some good money out of it when they are all up and running. $1 million or $2 million wouldn't even be worth getting out of bed for.