PDA

View Full Version : Where would you look?

imported_Ziggy
2003-Nov-23, 03:52 PM
I know it's a little early scientificly to be asking this question but here it goes. With our minimum knowledge about extrasolar planets where do you think civilized life might exist? Why? And what's your personnal (I know this is a wierd qusetion) opinion on the idea of treatment of aliens and our deffense against them if there hostile.

"Earth is the cradle of life, but one cannot live in the cradle forever"

Planetwatcher
2003-Nov-23, 09:48 PM
I don't mean to be negitive and crash your string, but I don't think life will be found anywhere else. However that doesn't mean that searching for and eventually exploring exp-planets will be anything less then excitingly interesting.

Haglund
2003-Nov-23, 10:06 PM
I think that if the conditions are right, the chance of life isn't too small. But somehow I'm pessimistic about the number of intelligent civilizations, which would mean very very long distances between us.

DippyHippy
2003-Nov-24, 12:59 AM
You know, when you consider the life that has been and gone, just on Earth, and how short a time we've been around, who's to say that intelligent life has been and gone already?

And isn't it really a game of Russian Roulette anyway? I mean, when you consider things like Ice Ages, global warming, asteroid / comet impacts, solar flares etc aren't we more than lucky that we've gotten this far?

damienpaul
2003-Dec-16, 04:50 PM
And like they say on Monty Python's Meaning of Life:

"I hope there is intelligent life out there, cause there is bugger all on earth!'

Probably badly quoted.... :lol: