PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Sunspots Tracked Behind the Sun

Fraser
2003-Nov-24, 09:52 PM
SUMMARY: Using the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) spacecraft, scientists have been able to track the recent powerful sunspots as they moved around the backside of the Sun. The solar wind interacts with the interstellar hydrogen that fills the whole solar system. As the sunspots move across the far side of the Sun, they cause fluctuations in the solar wind's interaction which are visible in the ultraviolet spectrum. Astronomers were able to predict that the recent massive sunspots had decreased in intensity as they moved across the far side of the Sun.

Comments or questions about this story? Feel free to share your thoughts.
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/su...behind_sun.html (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/sunspots_tracked_behind_sun.html)

Karen
2004-Jan-21, 01:38 PM
There have been been more sunspot activity since this was published. the question is: Why have you not been keeping up to date on these? Go to www.spaceweather.com for the most recent information. Alot of people out there do not even realize this (I wonder why?) and I think this is "very" important and should be consistently monitored. There seems to be a very significant "increase" in earthquake activity since the "increase" in sunspot activity......Is there a conection??

I also would like you to know that I very much enjoy your site and newsletters...very informative.

Regards,
Karen D. Stump

Karen
2004-Jan-21, 01:39 PM
There have been been more sunspot activity since this was published. the question is: Why have you not been keeping up to date on these? Go to www.spaceweather.com for the most recent information. Alot of people out there do not even realize this (I wonder why?) and I think this is "very" important and should be consistently monitored. There seems to be a very significant "increase" in earthquake activity since the "increase" in sunspot activity......Is there a connection??

I also would like you to know that I very much enjoy your site and newsletters...very informative.

Regards,
Karen D. Stump