PDA

View Full Version : A Tail of LINEAR, 2003/12/3 UT

Dave Mitsky
2003-Dec-06, 04:39 PM
On a very chilly Wednesday morning I observed C/2002 T7 (LINEAR) from 6:45 to 7:30 UT with magnifications ranging from 118x to 259x using the 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain at the ASH Naylor Observatory near Lewisberry, Pennsylvania. The comet had a bright stellar pseudonucleus surrounded by an inner condensation and an irregular outer coma. I also noted a short tail with averted vision. The comet's motion was readily apparent during that period.

Comet LINEAR T7 was visible but just barely through the 5" f/5 finder scope at 25x.

Much earlier, a calendar day as a matter of fact, I tried to catch a final look at Comet 2P/Encke without success.

After visiting a few bright deep-sky objects I observed the Moon through fleeting clouds and under somewhat turbulent skies. Rupes Recta and the area encompassing Eratosthenes, Montes Apenninus, and Archimedes captured my interest.

Mars at 259x was distinctly gibbous and tiny compared to its days of glory last August.

My views of Saturn at 118 to 202x were not as good as the night before when several pastel shades were displayed but they did have their moments. The C Ring wasn't particularly hard to see. Dione, Tethys, Enceladus, and Rhea bracketed the Ringed Planet while Titan kept its distance.

Asteroid 1 Ceres was easily swept up at 162x as it headed north westward towards Pollux.

I stayed in the French Dome long enough to watch Io be eclipsed by Jupiter at 9:28 UT.

Other celestial objects that met my telescopically enhanced gaze through the course of the session included M38, M36, M37, Rigel, M42, M43, M78, W Orionis, M76, M103, M34, the Double Cluster, Stock 2 (which was quite nice through the 5" at 25x), NGC 957, M52 and nearby Czernik 43, and Eta Persei.

Dave Mitsky

Charles Bell
2003-Dec-16, 11:07 PM
That's a pretty good report on the comet. It would be very welcome on the comets-ml or CometObs yahoo group mailing lists.

I would like to try and spot an asteroid.

How could you tell which dot in the scope it is? Is it moving as you watch??

I have a GoTo telescope and for me, its hard to figure out which light speck is which.

I could use any tips you might have.

Dave Mitsky
2003-Dec-17, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Charles Bell@Dec 16 2003, 11:07 PM
That's a pretty good report on the comet. It would be very welcome on the comets-ml or CometObs yahoo group mailing lists.

I would like to try and spot an asteroid.

How could you tell which dot in the scope it is? Is it moving as you watch??

I have a GoTo telescope and for me, its hard to figure out which light speck is which.

I could use any tips you might have.
This report was posted the on comets-ml Yahoo!Group as well as the CometChasing Yahoo!Group.

Only NEAs travel quickly enough for motion to be apparent. You'll need to hone up your star-hopping and chart reading skills. The brighter asteroids are not difficult to locate with a good finder chart.

Dave Mitsky