PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Nozomi Has Failed

Fraser
2003-Dec-10, 01:44 AM
SUMMARY: The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) has reportedly given up their efforts to have their Mars-bound spacecraft Nozomi reach the Red Planet. A solar flare in 2002 damaged the spacecraft's electronics and prevented its thrusters from working properly. Engineers were working up until the last minute, but in the end they weren't able to get the equipment working again. Nozomi will now follow a wide orbit around Mars and then slingshot out into space. Spacecraft from NASA and the European Space Agency will arrive at Mars over the next couple of months.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/nozomi_failure)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Littlemews
2003-Dec-10, 05:30 AM
Ouch&#33; That hurt ><

2003-Dec-10, 06:29 AM
I wonder if it is possible to slingshot it to somewhere else?
possible options enough in space, there are 2 directions possible:
- further away from the sun
- - the moons of Mars ?
- - asteroid belt exploration (the ABE missions, named after Lincoln :)
- - Jupiter (enough fuel?)
- - where no one has gone before

- back to the sun
- - back to earth/moon system (dock it into the ISS?)
- - Venus or Mercurius
- - the sun itself?

regards,
rob

Haglund
2003-Dec-10, 10:54 AM
Bad news, but I hope this wont discourage Japan from continuing research of Mars in the future.

tycho1981
2003-Dec-10, 02:33 PM
Pity&#33;, but i just knew it after 3 years or so? with a lot failures. (Guest, no possible give this an another mission&#33;)

now it&#39;s ESA vs NASA :)

Fraser
2003-Dec-10, 05:13 PM
The instruments are still working, so JAXA is still planning to do some solar observation, but that&#39;s about it. They&#39;re not going to get a lot of science out of it.

The problem is that the thrusters aren&#39;t working, so they pretty much can&#39;t go anywhere except where their trajectory is taking them.