PDA

View Full Version : Earth Spinning

Forealfc
2003-Dec-10, 02:47 PM
I know this is probably an easy question to answer, but I cannot figure it out.

If we are spinning at thousands of miles per hr, how is it that the sun stays in one place for a certain amount of time.. Please explain in simple terms. This really puzzles me.

Littlemews
2003-Dec-10, 04:45 PM
The sun also spinning itself, so do Earth...but u cant see it rotating, because the sun look the same everyday, but while u are looking in the Sun Spot, u will see the sun rotating..

Forealfc
2003-Dec-10, 04:54 PM
So you are saying that when we are spinning , the sun is as well... I mean, cmnon... If we are spinning we should see the sun go away, then back in a quick time..... Im still not understanding... What about the Moon? why does it look still. Is it turning too? I really dont think so...

For example.... You go to a race track... you start at one point and end at the same point, but you see different things on the way around the track. This is how Im looking how the earth turns...

GOURDHEAD
2003-Dec-10, 05:01 PM
The angular displacement of the sun in the sky only appears to be zero over small time intervals. Its apparent motion perceived as angular displacements over several hours is obviously non-zero because the sun appears to rise and set. Although slow, the apparent motion of the sun through the sky is continuous. Also, only at the equator with a circumference of approximately 25,000 miles does one travel at slightly over 1000 miles per hour (25000/24 as opposed to "thousands of miles per hour") and the sun, viewed from any lattitude, if it can be seen, appears to move approximately 15 degrees per hour. ;)

Forealfc
2003-Dec-10, 05:18 PM
I think Im understanding now.... Thanks a lot... But one more thing... Can you explain the Moon? is it the same concept? I can look in a telescope and the Moon appears to be still.

Dan Luna
2003-Dec-10, 06:00 PM
The Moon's also going round the Earth, but a lot slower than the Earth is rotating. If you look through a big enough telescope, you'll see it moving - when I'm videoing through my Dob at x360 it doesn't stay on the screen for more than 1 minute!

Littlemews
2003-Dec-10, 07:19 PM
There is also a Friction between the Earth and the Moon, which will makes the Earth Rotate slowly and the Moon as well...and we we it the Tidal Friction.

By looking at the Moon's crater, u will notice that the moon is rotating as well..