PDA

View Full Version : Stale Topics

Chook
2003-Dec-15, 07:41 PM
Happy Christmas the CainS ......

A suggestion: The list of Topics are getting pretty long now and many Topics are, by now, either closed, concluded or stale.

Perhaps you could consider a formula for eliminating the more obvious posts which are no longer of interest.

Also consider deleting Members who haven't made a post within the past 6 (?) months. They can always re-join. :huh:

kashi
2003-Dec-15, 11:34 PM
This forum hasn't even been running for six months buddy.

Please feel free to start some new, exciting topics.

Kashi

Chook
2003-Dec-16, 12:32 AM
I'm trying to Kashi.
See DOOMSDAY in Totally off Topic.

abyssalroamer
2003-Dec-16, 05:11 PM
The only topics that should be considered "stale" are, perhaps, those pertaining to some kind of dated event, like meteor showers or the best viewing of Mars. There are topics that have had no replies in over a month that are still worthy of being read and responsed to today. The lack of responses is perhaps a measure of the limited readership/membership and nothing more. Interest in string theory and cosmology may have ended in here, but not among the people I see almost daily, as an example.

Fraser
2003-Dec-16, 07:17 PM
I agree, the whole point of the forum is to provide an archive of ideas that people can search through for years to come. There's no reason to remove them. My hard drive can take it.

It's great when you start up new topics, Chook. Except for causing people great panic... your Doomsday topic was right on the money. People are often afraid to start up new topics, so I really appreciate it when it happens. Keep it up!

Chook
2003-Dec-16, 10:03 PM
Thanks Fraser - I'm learning. :rolleyes:

Matthew
2003-Dec-17, 06:00 AM
Do you need to store the whole forum on your hard drive, Fraser?

Fraser
2003-Dec-17, 06:31 AM
No, my webserver's hard drive. Currently, I'm using about 1 GB of a 60 GB system.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-20, 04:57 PM
thats a lot of bytes..... :blink: :blink: :blink: so we are not really in any danger of overloading it in a hurry?

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-27, 06:22 AM
Happy Christmas the CainS ......

A suggestion: The list of Topics are getting pretty long now and many Topics are, by now, either closed, concluded or stale.

Perhaps you could consider a formula for eliminating the more obvious posts which are no longer of interest.

Also consider deleting Members who haven't made a post within the past 6 (?) months. They can always re-join. :huh:

The only topics that should be considered "stale" are, perhaps, those pertaining to some kind of dated event, like meteor showers or the best viewing of Mars. There are topics that have had no replies in over a month that are still worthy of being read and responsed to today. The lack of responses is perhaps a measure of the limited readership/membership and nothing more. Interest in string theory and cosmology may have ended in here, but not among the people I see almost daily, as an example.

I wonder if 2 years later this topic has any particular relevance?

No, my webserver's hard drive. Currently, I'm using about 1 GB of a 60 GB system.

How's the webserver situation going these days Fraser? You must be using a heck of a lot more than that given the expansion of the site over the past 2 years, although with the forum now a dual-managed operation in-a-sense I suppose that probably frees up a certain amount of space?