PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for?

eef
2003-Dec-17, 11:03 PM
Hello,
This may sound kinda funny, but i figured it would help me. I am the graphic designer for an up and coming telescope company. As I have been designing ads for them, I have realized that though I have good design ideas- I dont have much of an understanding of what one who is into astronomy looks for when they're shoppin.

I have seen that there are lots of highly detailed ads on telescopes in astronomy magazines. Do you really stop and read all that? What is it you are looking for and want to know initially in an ad for a scope? What do you look for?

Help me if you could, to understand the mind of a shopping astronomer, cause I honestly have hardly ever even looked through a telescope.

Thanks so much for replies
-eef

Dan Luna
2003-Dec-18, 05:58 PM
Essential information would be the type of scope - refractor, Newtonian reflector etc., diameter of objective lens or main mirror so you know how much light it will gather and maximum magnification, focal length or focal ratio e.g. f/5 to indicate whether scope favours light gathering or magnification and how big the scope is, type of mount e.g. 1 or 2 motors and whether it has computer tracking, what eyepieces are included.

For a quality scope, there would usually be some information on what has been added to make it worth the extra money.

Matthew
2003-Dec-19, 12:39 AM
I'd go through the whole ad, but I'd prefer it to be in a quicker format. With just the specifications. I'd also like a cheaper price! :P

memo
2003-Dec-20, 01:52 AM
Good question,one never knows.It depends on who you are trying to appeal to.There is the beginner,intermeadet,advanced.These all require a different approach and style.Beginner ease of use quality and workmanship,never power at any level.My feeling has always been to much info especially tech stuff turns everyone off.Any one that has poked many holes in the sky already knows.People will never by what they should just what looks good. THANKS FOR LISTENING

exAstro
2003-Dec-20, 02:13 AM
Come on, that's easy- I look for big! I want a lot of light gathering power at a good price from a well-respected dealer.

Daniel T
2003-Dec-24, 10:21 PM
Dan Luna really nailed everything I would want to know. The only thing I would add to his list is high quality photograghs of the telescope. I want to know what it looks like. Amateur astronomers are gear heads. We not only like to look through telescopes we like to look at them.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-25, 06:46 AM
i agree, Dan Luna has given a great checklist! i will be using that checklist when in the near future I purchase a scope

eef
2003-Dec-29, 10:53 PM
:) Thanks for all your help guys!

Here's another question- I also design ads that don't just specifically advertise one single scope, but our entire store. What are you looking for when you are looking for a good place to buy telescopes and such. What would draw you to check out a new telescope brand/dealer?
-eef

kashi
2003-Dec-30, 03:17 AM
I think a nice clean looking ad with easily readable lists of equipment prices.

eef
2003-Dec-31, 06:31 PM
This will probably be big, but for your previewing pleasure, here is what I have so far... There will be some changes made, especially the telescope's will be reshot for this ad, all at the same angle and lighting, but it's the direction. Thanks for all your input.
-eef
http://www.geocities.com/ethannicolle/8SCOPES.jpg