PDA

View Full Version : colonizing planets and or moons

dailydelight
2003-Dec-18, 05:47 PM
do you think that within 50 years our United States space program will be colonizing planets and or moons?[LIST]
colonizing planets and/or moons

Who's Job Is It?
This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
Think About That and Just Maybe
It Will Get Done

Littlemews
2003-Dec-18, 06:31 PM
50 yrs is too early fot that :lol: wait till 1 thousand or 1 million yrs later... :lol:

tycho1981
2003-Dec-18, 06:47 PM
thousand or more years is too much! if space programs of our world keep rolling + manned interplanet mission it'll be sure in 100 year

Josh
2003-Dec-18, 11:38 PM
When these things take off they really take off (no pun intended). As we saw with the beginnings of the space program, from launching the first man to doing something so brilliant as land one on the moon was only a few years. At that point (again as we've seen) these things can go two ways: Either stop dead in the water, or carry on to greater heights. If things get back on track then they'll probably happen very quickly. So, to the question I say 50 years isprobably a good time frame for first colonies etc. From when that 50 years starts is an entirely different story. Only when things start up again can we begin that count.

Matthew
2003-Dec-19, 12:35 AM
dailydelight, that's a very good story!
And an extremely true one.

There is only 1 space agency that could get a man to the moon fairly quickly if it had the funds. Another plans to go to the moon by 2020, and the other 2 would hopefully help the space agency that could get to the moon quickly.

tycho1981
2003-Dec-19, 05:23 PM
technology going faster and faster. 50 years ago, how was the car? very bad. we have formula1 now. 100 years ago plane can fly off the ground for a few seconds, now sky is full of jumbos. space is our next step! then colonize automatic come.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-20, 02:09 PM
i had a discussion with Dr. Jon Clarke of the Australian Mars Society - there are immediate plans for the testing in an environment that could simulate the barreness of the Martian surface (certainly not the temp, atmos composition etc) here in the Austtralian Outback - he is of the belief that i could be possible for a basic colonisation of Mars within the next century.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-19, 01:32 PM
I disagree with some of the sentiments posted here, particularly the contention that when it starts up again that Space exploration and colonisation will immediately take off at a great rate. One would hope that the forthcoming Space race would prove more enduring and lasting than the last one, and I think it will, but to believe that we're going to be seriously colonising Mars anytime this century is optimistic in the extreme.

Space is a very different beast from any of the examples cited above, the costs involved are just enormous, and they're unfortunately not going to be coming down anytime soon. I would say in terms of a serious effort to colonise Mars, sometime in the 2100s (2100-2200), and it could really be anywhere within that century in my view.

Anytime before then is simply a fantastical take on reality. One only needs to look at Antarctica to realise how hard it is to colonise extremely inhospitable places, Antarctica is on our very own life-friendly planet, and yet, we have made no effort to colonise the place - and why would we? (And to those who would raise environmental concerns about doing so, I agree, but if colonising Antarctica were a worthwhile thing to be doing in a financial sense it would be done regardless of any environmental concerns)

Colonising space is orders of magnitude more expensive than colonising Antarctica, not to mention orders of mag. more dangerous, and by the way, a few isolated stations manned by small crews does not in any way equate to colonisation.

Romanus
2005-Dec-19, 06:31 PM
^
Ditto.

Maybe 75-100 years minimum, and that's being generous, barring a dramatic reduction in flight costs and/or improved propulsion.

redshifter
2005-Dec-19, 11:43 PM
The only way colonization will really 'take off' is when someone figures out how to make $ off of it. IOW, we'll need a MUCH cheaper way of getting people and supplies off this planet. I figure 100 years at the very least before we see anything resembling colonization. So it looks like I am also in agreement with jkm above.

Candy
2005-Dec-20, 02:15 AM
Jules, you're going back in time.

wayneee
2005-Dec-20, 02:41 AM
There are some simple things that we can do right now to start colonization of Mars. We could send probes to start seeding of Red Green Algaes. I have always wondered if we could start a green house effect using nuclear bombs at the poles. Devising life to survive Mars should be possible, just need water. How do you get water on mars. Well thats what we are roving about for isnt it. Looks like Mars had water, running water, prehaps oceans, it cant be all accounted for at the poles if what might be, is in fact reality . the Water could still be there, deep underground.

Here's a bad Astronomy fancy of mine. Most of Mars water has been trapped underground as Mars lost its atmospere with a collision with Pheobos. As the planet stabalized from the crash , the martian water escaped into the atmospere and froze at the polescombining with clorine. The rest of the water fell through the crushed plates caused by the crash . There hows that theory

GOURDHEAD
2005-Dec-20, 05:05 AM
Serious colonization should not be attempted until we can terraform whichever target is our objective. http://home.comcast.net/~mbmcneill7/ describes a system that will allow you to achieve this goal in 250 years.

korjik
2005-Dec-20, 06:22 AM
I dont think true colonization will ever happen. You may get a fairly large nimber of facilities off world, but I doubt that the total population will ever get above 1% that of the earth

Terraforming is nice, but the problems are much deeper that what you see at first glance. Take Mars: Even if you do get it an Earth type atmosphere (mostly breathable air at a livable pressure), the low gravity and lack of magnetic field will cause quite rapid loss to space of that atmosphere.

I more see there being alot of little stations spread thru the solar system.

phunk
2005-Dec-20, 03:47 PM
From what I've heard the loss of atmosphere would take millions of years. Sure, that's rapid on a geological timescale but it leaves plenty of time for coming up with ways to replenish the atmosphere or stop the loss.

Elyk
2005-Dec-20, 08:57 PM
There's gotta be a way to stabalize mars atmosphere. It most likely had a stable atmosphere before. All it takes is time really and we will figure out a way.

eburacum45
2005-Dec-20, 10:30 PM
How long do you want to live there? If you need to live there for more than the few million years it would take for the atmosphere to leak noticably, you could try paraterraforming, fitting a flexible membrane over the atmosphere to keep it in.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming#Paraterraforming
http://www.orionsarm.com/civ/Worldhouses.html

GOURDHEAD
2005-Dec-23, 03:22 AM
How long do you want to live there? If you need to live there for more than the few million years it would take for the atmosphere to leak noticably, you could try paraterraforming, fitting a flexible membrane over the atmosphere to keep it in. As we all know Venus is blessed with way too much atmosphere and Mars with not enough. The system described in my last input to this thread is capable of transfering about 5 bars( as measured on Venus), 4 of CO2 and 1 of N2, to Mars and supplying additional heat as required from the power beam gererators in polar orbit about the sun. With a little genetic engineering we can infest this new Martian atmosphere with carefully designed microbes that can convert the CO2 into O2 and various carbonates or carbides using the released water as a catalyst. If there is not enough water there, the same system can haul (propel) it onto the Martian surface. The arbitrarily chosen 5 bars should last several hundreds of millions of years and produce a Martian environment that humans could feel quite comfortable within. The system is capable of transporting stuff from Earth to Mars in less than half a week and from Venus to Mars in less than one week. It can also protect each occupied site from asteroids and comets that might otherwise try to land there in their own inimitable way.

Anyone know how long a similar atmosphere would last on the moon?