PDA

View Full Version : My first telescope

damienpaul
2003-Dec-22, 08:05 AM
I remember my first ever telescope was a tiny reflector telescope from a toy store, but did it ever work well on the moon, Venus and Mars...as a kid of 7 years old it fascinated me to no end.

Chook
2003-Dec-22, 09:49 AM
Mine were the Old Man's binoculars - but I couldn't hold them still enough to stop the stars streaking across the field of visions. Been there, Alice? :)

kashi
2003-Dec-22, 01:32 PM
My first scope is my current scope (me being 19 and all). A 4.5" reflector. I hear a rumour that Santa is bringing me a lovely spanking new Vixen LV 4 mm eyepiece for Christmas.

Chook I'm sure he really appreciates being called Alice. Here in Australia we would say that that joke has been "milked".

Kashi

damienpaul
2004-Jan-02, 12:33 PM
nah, i will get to red rooster...:lol: tell me more about your new scope

kashi
2004-Jan-02, 12:37 PM
My new eyepiece...?

Well well. I haven't got it yet but it's on order from the North Pole. It's the 4mm on this page:
http://www.buytelescopes.com/product_list.asp?t=172

It was ordered from York Optical in Flinders St. More expensive than buying online but I wouldn't trust the mail for delicate scientific equipment.

BobbyD
2004-Jan-04, 05:25 AM
B) My father's 7x35 Tasco binoculars first got me started in astronomy back around 1971-72.My first 'real'telescope was ordered out of the Sears and Roebuck Christmas Catalog.It was a 2.4" alt-azimuth refractor.I nearly jumped 5ft in the air when I got my first view of Saturn!!!!!30 years later,I own a 6"f/12 apo refractor....love those refractors!!!

Littlemews
2004-Jan-07, 06:37 PM
T-T Damm Fedex, they charge me 17 bucks for shipping method as 2 day business, now its 6 1/2 days now, my telescope still haven't arrive yet...this is the sad history of my first telescope :(

Matthew
2004-Jan-13, 01:24 AM
Mine was a plastic refractor telescope I got when I was 7 or 8. I think I used it more for looking around the neigbourhood than the night sky.

moosemanuk
2004-Jan-21, 12:40 AM
mine was a cheap kids scope from the local supermarket when I was 10 - I thought I had a wonderful view of the swirling clouds on the surface of Venus until I realised that I had the thing completely out of focus ... took me years to realise that.

Cheers!
Moo$e

Stargazer
2004-Jan-25, 05:10 PM
A white 30x40mm Carton refractor. All metal tube mounted on an old camera tripod (original tripod was only for a table top). Seen HERE (http://www.users.on.net/stargazer1969au/mytel001.jpg) in front of my Tasco 11T 114mm (4.5").
Bought it myself when I was 9 years old with my hard earned pocket money (aprox $25) and was my pride & joy ...
... until my sister sent it flying one night onto the concrete driveway while playing chase with my brother. :o

Still have it though, after all these years, packed away in the box it came in. Might get it fixed one day just for the hell of it. <_<