PDA

View Full Version : astronomy dream team

damienpaul
2003-Dec-23, 04:52 AM
Hey folks, who do you think is the dream team for astronomy? list them if you will 4 points for the 1st, 3 points for the second and 2 point for the third and 1 point for any honorable mention......

seeker372011
2003-Dec-23, 05:47 AM
Here's my team:

Newton and Einstein at equal first

Kepler/Tycho Brahe team at second place

Edwin Hubble at third place

Honorable mentions: Stephen Hawking, Copernicus, Henrietta Levitt, Charles Messier

damienpaul
2003-Dec-23, 06:05 AM
I forgot to put mine!

1st - Galileo, Newton, Ainstein, Kepler
2nd - Hubble, Tycho, hawking
3rd - Messier, Copernicus

Hon Mention - Fraser, levitt

so the ladder after this short amount of time:

8 - Newton, einstein
7- Kepler
6 - Tycho
5 - Hubble
4 - Hawking
3 - Copernicus, Messier
2 - Levitt
1 -Fraser

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-24, 01:19 AM
Okay, I'm gonna be different and list people I admire or have admired for their work (and - where possible - would love to interview!!) - Carl Sagan is top of my list but the others are in no particular order.

Carl Sagan
Carolyn Porco (head of the imaging team at Cassini)
Heather Couper (first woman President of the British Astronomical Society - the "pin-up girl of astronomy")
Patrick Moore
Geoff Marcy (head of the planet-hunting team at Berkley)
Stephen Hawking
Kip Thorne

...ummmmmm... probably David Malin at the Anglo-Australian Observatory too since his work can be found in almost every astronomical book you pick up...

I've been lucky so far. Sagan is no longer with us, but I've spoken with and have emailed Ann Druyan, his widow, a lovely lady... Carolyn Porco is elusive but I did once get an email from her on the email press release list LOL I have a friend who's been commissioned to do some artwork for the Cassini mission so we're both hoping that we might get to meet her one day... Heather Couper I met about 20 years ago when I was about 12 LOL She was a nice lady too... Patrick Moore I've met a couple of times and have got two books (including his autobiography) signed by him - he's just the same in real life as on TV and quite a big guy LOL Geoff Marcy wrote a couple of very eloquent paragraphs for an article I was researching a few years back and was generally very helpful and pleasant... Stephen Hawking and Kip Thorne I have had no contact with whatsoever but I do admire their work... from what I know, they're pretty good friends too... finally, David Malin is very generous with his work... if you'd like to use his images for non-profitable purposes, he's usually more than happy to allow you to do so :)

Matthew
2003-Dec-24, 01:36 AM
Stephan Hawking should get better than an Hon. Mention!

damienpaul
2003-Dec-24, 01:38 AM
Carl Sagan is certainly legendary! Wow you have had quite an impressive array of meetings Dips!

kashi
2003-Dec-24, 10:08 AM
Great idea for a topic Damienpaul!

There are so many different selection criterion and in the end it is quite subjective.

How could schrodinger not get a mention!?!?? Quantum mechanics was the single most important scientific breakthrough of the 20th century in my opinion!

Tinaa
2003-Dec-24, 05:12 PM
We need a physicist and I nominate Lawrence Krauss. I've read many of his books and he, much like the beloved Sagan, explains the Universe in terms the layman can understand.

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-24, 11:20 PM
This is turning into an Astronomy Hall Of Fame :)

How about Ptolomy? (sic?)

Or Hipparchos?

damienpaul
2003-Dec-25, 01:42 AM
okay, i have lost count completely, but we should recognise the every day people who make discoveries (often by accident)

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-26, 12:40 AM
This is true.

Only yesterrday I discovered that my boss had bought the night shift (ie, me) an Xmas box of choccies and no one had bothered to tell me.

Therefore I can only conclude the greedy buggers wanted the chocolates for themselves :o

damienpaul
2003-Dec-26, 02:49 AM
i'll revise the question: Who is your all time favourite/admired astronomer/physicist?

I'll start by saying that mine is Sagan

DippyHippy
2003-Dec-26, 03:05 AM
Bugger... beat me to it *pout*

damienpaul
2003-Dec-26, 03:16 AM
so 2 votes for Sagan?

anneliese
2003-Dec-29, 03:07 AM
i have to say that i had the pleasure of working with Dr Brian Schmidt at Mt Stromlo Observatory - or what is left of it :( - this year, and he has some huge achievements on his list so far in his career - my fav astronomer to date! and of course i have to put in a vote for Hawking - it was his book "black holes and baby universes" that convinced me to go back to study, and now i'm working with some of the best!! :D

damienpaul
2004-Jan-02, 12:26 PM
ah yes i know of schmidt!!! awesome fellow

DippyHippy
2004-Jan-02, 11:02 PM
Cool anneliese - tell us more about it :)

anneliese
2004-Jan-07, 09:23 AM
ok... :D a couple of fellow students along with myself actually spent a semester trying to find the progenitor of SN1006.. we read way too many papers that should have been over our heads - but somehow we managed to wade through them!! - and then worked with Brian, and briefly with Dayal Wickramasinghe, to determine how fast a progenitor would have been travelling, how far that translates to on the sky and what it would look like -luminosity, colour etc... all very hard work, but totally thrilling!! we were given 5 days on the 40inch at siding springs in NSW, but unfortunately it poured for 4 of them!! typical.. ;) so the data we did manage to get wasnt all that great, and ultimately our findings were inconclusive - and we were sooo looking forward to finding something new, and proving thoeries and stuff!!! still a fantastic experience, and my fellow students and i are totally without doubt grateful to Dr Schmidt for his invaluable time and patience! to top it all off he has offered us work this year as well... so i can now say that i am seriously contributing to the world of astronomy - YAY!!!

anyhoo.. i think i have blabbed on way long enough now.. :P

DippyHippy
2004-Jan-08, 12:45 AM
I think that's great - will you be able to continue your work this summer? Please keep us posted :)

Duane
2004-Jun-23, 11:01 PM
Wow how to put them in an order of 1st to last!?! Do they have to be dead?

Chandrasekhar
Einstein
Newton
Hawking
Copernicus
Brahe
Planck
Kepler
Galileo
Doppler
Herzsprung
Hippachus
Sagen
Kelvin
Hubble
Eddington
Herschel
Bethe
Cassini
Heisenberg
Aristotle
Russel
Lowell
Halley
Lagrange
Teller
Oppenheimer
Shoemaker
Cerenkov
Kuiper
Coulomb

I have probably missed a pile, but there's a small list at least.

antoniseb
2004-Jun-24, 04:58 PM
Dream team, or just Hall of Fame?

Why not include Ulug Beg, al-Zarqali, Peuerbach, Regiomontanous, and other early table-makers?

If you're looking for a dream team, I'd think you'd create a few specific positions, and fill them [good eyes, patient observer, precision equipment maker, theoretician, good at getting money out of philanthropists [e.g. George Ellery Hale].

Duane
2004-Jun-24, 07:04 PM
Hey that's a good idea antoniseb.

My only question is, how do you compare the mathimatical genious of, for eg, Newton to Einstein or Chandrasekhar? Or to Hawking? How can you compare the fame of Hawking to Sagen or Einstein, or even Newton for that matter? How do you compare the discoveries of Galileo to those of Halley, or Kepler, or even Shoemaker?

Reading back through the post though, if I had to choose one I guess it would be Galileo. He is the one who more or less got the ball called modern astronomy rolling, and risked a date with a burning pile of wood to do it.