PDA

View Full Version : astronomical bad guys

damienpaul
2003-Dec-25, 06:43 AM
Okay folks here is a post of a different kind, to play the devil's advocate...who are the worst people who are always blocking, stalling or generally placing impossible constraints the propoer flow of space researcha nd exploration?

B_Sirius
2003-Dec-25, 06:52 AM
Um...I think that would have to be anyone with the last name of "Bush". :D

But seriously...

Basically, space exploration is generally on or near the bottom rung of the ladder as far as government spending is concerned, especially here in the U.S. post 9/11. As you all know by now, the majority of our funding seems to be going to silly things like "homeland security" and "fishing ex-Iraqi leaders out of holes".

Sometimes I wish I were alive during the Kennedy era and know what it was like to see that first moon landing. The best I can do is a distant 6th grade-ish memory of the first Shuttle flight.

Oh by the way...hi everyone! My name's Laura. And I'm currently avoiding wrapping Christmas gifts.

damienpaul
2003-Dec-25, 06:55 AM
:lol: interesting way of putting it! I think there are so many folks who knock astronomy, i mean it is a backwater topic in the science curriculum here in Alice Springs!

Have fun avoiding the wrapping of Xmas pressies :lol:

Chook
2003-Dec-25, 09:33 AM
Hi Laura,
(My eldest girl is named Laura and she's as beautiful as the name suggests.)

Welcome to the forum - love your tongue-in-cheek cynicism - right on the button.

I guess that, as some of the boys have previously observed, most lay-persons don't appreciate the value of technical spinoffs that result from scientific research which benefit the whole of mankind.

The problem is that the Americal taxpayer pays and, as you have aptly said, National Security is more uppermost in their minds that what comes out of a laboratory.

Shame.

Tinaa
2003-Dec-25, 05:53 PM
I am shocked, nay, horrified at the freedoms the American people are willing to give up in the name of security. It is a shame. During the Kennedy days there was much social upheavel and scary stand-offs (heating up of the Cold War, Bay of Pigs, etc.). Much the same as today, just different. Maybe we'll see some great things come from these times as well. I remember an old saying that goes something like this: "Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it." Seems like we humans just can't seem to learn. :(

damienpaul
2003-Dec-25, 06:25 PM
that is the darn tooting truth!!! like Mahatma Gandhi says , we have to be change that we want in the world.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-05, 06:31 PM
In a word. Bureaucrats.

But despite that, I don't really blame them, they're just out protecting their own turf and its not up to them to drive through the real changes and initiatives that could lead somewhere.

Candy
2005-Dec-06, 01:40 AM
Marked for amusement purposes. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

publiusr
2005-Dec-09, 11:36 PM
My list:

1. William Proxmire
2. General John Jumper
3. Lester Lyles
4. The Alt. Space community
5. Dan Goldin
6. Richard Nixon
7. Sean O'Keefe (No wonder Saban left when O'Grief went to LSU)
8 Ike
9. Kerry (Here's why: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=973&start=11

"Kerry didn't go to JSC, he went to KSC and promptly followed his trip with his science-only release to the press, which basically meant KSC shouldn't exist.
His policy advisor quickly tried to clarify. "

My list of favorites:

1. Korolov/Glushko
2. JFK/LBJ
3. von Braun
4. Tom Delay (yes, you heard me right)
5. GW Bush

Ilya
2005-Dec-10, 01:49 AM
Um...I think that would have to be anyone with the last name of "Bush". :D
I know you were joking, but the fact is, Kennedy was the only Democratic president to leave office with higher NASA fundings than he took the office. Nixon was the only Republican to do the opposite. Overall, Republicans have been much friendlier to space exploration than Democrats.

I mostly agree with Publiusr's "favorites list." Not LBJ, though -- he cut funds for Apollo even before Nixon drove stake through its heart.

Candy
2005-Dec-10, 02:00 AM
My History Professor said Kennedy may have been a Democrat, but his politics were like the Republicans of today. Vice versa with Nixon. She said the roles have literally reversed. I didn't major in History (nor Politics), so I don't know if this is accurate. :shifty:

[Edit - I have a reason for posting the above. I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into the thread without getting in trouble.]

aurora
2005-Dec-10, 03:11 AM
I know you were joking, but the fact is,

Note that the writer, B_Sirius, has not posted here for two years, and is unlikely to see your post. So you may have wasted your effort.

JKMCRANN strikes again.

When a thread is resurrected, there should be some sort of warning posted.

Candy
2005-Dec-10, 03:29 AM
I thought with my words "marked for amusement" would help. http://www.bautforum.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-10, 05:16 AM
Perhaps if you'd written "Bumped for amusement" instead:)

sarongsong
2005-Dec-10, 06:08 AM
Financial accountability might go a long way towards expediting our space progress.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-10, 06:57 AM
My History Professor said Kennedy may have been a Democrat, but his politics were like the Republicans of today. Vice versa with Nixon. She said the roles have literally reversed. I didn't major in History (nor Politics), so I don't know if this is accurate. :shifty:

[Edit - I have a reason for posting the above. I'm just not sure how to incorporate it into the thread without getting in trouble.]

I cannot agree with that assessment.

Dave Mitsky

Candy
2005-Dec-10, 07:03 AM
I cannot agree with that assessment.

Dave Mitsky
I was wondering why we even use a party reference when we post on who did what for the space program. :shifty:

I just couldn't think of how to word it at the time.