PDA

View Full Version : Firefly

KarenS
2002-Sep-23, 06:51 PM
Anyone here catch the premier of Firefly? It's supposed to be "big budget sci fi" on Fox, but it's from the same guy who created Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was just wondering how "Bad" it is, if it's Bad at all, and whether it's worth watching.

XPav
2002-Sep-23, 07:00 PM
I found Firefly a good show to watch. Its a sci-fi/western blend. This first episode had our "heroes" robbing a train. That's right. A train. Great stuff. Wish I had taped it.

Science wise:
One amazing thing: the spaceships did NOT make noise in space!
There appears to be gravity control.
The space ships apparently use some sort of jet engine while in atmosphere and some other sort of glowy drive in space.

The intro is: "After the earth was used up we found a new solar system and hundreds of new earths were terraformed and colonized. The central planets formed the alliance and decided all the planets had to join under their rule."

Interesting. Hundreds of new earths in one system? What are the chances of that? I suspect, having watched Joss Whedon's shows before, that this was intentional.

I liked the show though. I shall watch it again.

frenat
2002-Sep-23, 08:37 PM
I watched it as well and it wasn't half bad. I especially like the part where he kicked the bad guy into the engine intake.

ILeaTHS
2002-Sep-23, 08:49 PM
I like it too. I didn't really watch for Bad Astronomy (I don't know enough to do it justice) but I though the show was good.

And kicking the guy into the intake was really cool.

XPav
2002-Sep-23, 10:02 PM
"I will find you and hunt you down and kill you..."

<kick><foomph>

Bring out the next henchman!

Rift
2002-Sep-24, 09:59 PM
I loved it, the western flavor was refreshing for a sci fi show. The weapons were cool, all had a western six shooter feel to them, but they were obviously much higher tech then that, I think they did a good job with the western flavor but still leaving it futuristic.

I missed the start, but what I saw, there wasn't much bad astronomy, but then again I've learned to watch sci-fi without looking for astronomy /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The train was cool too. It looked like it was a mag-lev type thing.

I was really impressed with the whole thing.

Wiley
2002-Sep-24, 11:34 PM
What time slot was this sci-fi/western saddled with?

Sorry, I don't watch enough TV. Since I'm a big fan of Buffy, I'll make an exception for this show.
/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KarenS
2002-Sep-24, 11:40 PM
What time slot was this sci-fi/western saddled with?

Fridays at 8 pm.

I used to be a Buffy fan, but the last few seasons haven't appealed to me as much.

frenat
2002-Sep-24, 11:41 PM
It was on on Friday, 8PM on Fox.

KarenS
2002-Sep-24, 11:46 PM
Oops, forgot to say--it's on Fox.

Jim
2002-Sep-25, 12:29 PM
That's 8pm Eastern on Fox.

http://www.fox.com/firefly/

Cute show and definitely a Western flair. Check out some of the titles of upcoming episodes.

One of the Alliance characters made a statement about travelling "70 million miles to get here" and not wanting to waste the trip. 500 years in the future, in a galaxy-wide alliance, wouldn't that be more like a trip to the corner 7-11?

Wiley
2002-Sep-25, 05:40 PM
Thanks, y'all. I'll try to catch it.

The NY Times magazine had an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/22/magazine/22WHEDON.html) on Firefly and Joss Whedon. (Free registration required.) Kinda of interesting.

XPav
2002-Sep-25, 10:07 PM
On 2002-09-24 19:41, frenat wrote:
It was on on Friday, 8PM on Fox.

8PM Pacific too, when not preempted by baseball.

Rich
2002-Sep-26, 02:37 PM
I found it pretty fun.

Doesn't seem they had much time for any BA, since most of the story was on the ground.

If I recall correctly they used some sort of "gravity drive" for interstellar travel, but they didn't really mention relative time/distance or how it worked (guess the writers haven't had much time to figure that part out themselves... BA I smell a consulting job). And I thought they implied that all those terraformed worlds were in many different systems...

Interesting plot device though with the terraforming. Nice how they explained that sometimes can't predict every possible result of a new technology in alien environments.

The follow-on show "John Doe" was interesting as well.

Aodoi
2002-Sep-26, 03:47 PM
Not bad Astonomy, but some bad reality in John Doe (I only watched a couple minutes, but I turned it off because of this)... he spits out a string in binary and a kid goes "the source code for DOS!" or something of the like. DOS wasn't written in binary, so giving the source code in binary would be... well, stupid. Not to mention taking a rather extended period of time. 64K may be small now, but actually saying that many 0's and 1's would take a looong time.

I'm not sure if they explained later on, but if the guy knows everything why not ask him to write out a unified field theory? Or cure cancer? Or rewrite the lost works of various ancient philosophers? I suppose they can get around those by arguing he only knows what people currently know (they might have done so already).

Anyway, the ads seemed to imply he was going to pull the old "psychic detective" schtick and help solve murders. While a nice enough career path, I'd have to imagine that there are some rather more broad applications to put the entire knowledge of the human race toward.

Firefly was good enough that I'll try and watch the second episode. I was amused by the "old west meets sci fi" flavor, and I'm thinking they'll probably be more scientifically accurate than most of those shows seem to be.

btw, I think modern jet engines get fouled (or fowled) up when birds get sucked in... I'd have to imagine that a human body would make a real mess out of one. Even in the future. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KarenS
2002-Sep-26, 05:01 PM
Ok, you've convinced me, all of you--I'll have to watch it. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Er, I'll have to *tape* it and watch it later... Friday at 8:00 is a bad time, even for someone with only a marginal social life. What were they thinking? Argh!

irony
2002-Sep-26, 05:08 PM
I saw it, but wasn't too impressed. My main impression of the show was that whoever came up with it has been watching an awful lot of Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

honestmonkey
2002-Sep-26, 06:32 PM
On 2002-09-26 11:47, Aodoi wrote:
[About "John Doe"] I'm not sure if they explained later on, but if the guy knows everything why not ask him to write out a unified field theory? Or cure cancer? Or rewrite the lost works of various ancient philosophers?

Or - write a decent TV show? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

kadath
2002-Sep-26, 09:13 PM
On 2002-09-26 11:47, Aodoi wrote:
btw, I think modern jet engines get fouled (or fowled) up when birds get sucked in... I'd have to imagine that a human body would make a real mess out of one. Even in the future. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I didn't see the show, but with modern turbofan engines, anything of decent mass going through the intake will snap off a whole bunch of the fanblades, unbalance the rest of the fan, and do bad things to the actual burners.

Because of the strict tolerances for fanblades, they're made of rigid alloys to prevent wobble at high RPM. This makes them brittle and fairly easy to break, as metals go.

However, who's to say that In The Future[TM], someone won't have gotten around the rigidity/brittleness tradeoff in materials science? Reaching, I know, but nice to think about.

frenat
2002-Sep-26, 11:48 PM
I saw a video once where a maintenance worker accidentally go sucked into an intake of a fighter jet. Amazingly he came out the other end with just a few scratches. I never heard how the engine ended up though.

Rift
2002-Sep-27, 12:10 AM
64K may be small now, but actually saying that many 0's and 1's would take a looong time.

Yeah, that part bugged me too, it would take forever. And how would the kid know he had all those 0s and 1s memorized and didn't just rattle a bunch off.
And is his knowledge updated or something? He later makes a killing on indonesian rice futures or some dang thing, and the stock broker asks him what crystal ball he used, he says something like "no crystal ball, just an intant knowledge of the indonesian stock market". Those things change moment to moment...

I did end up watching more of John Doe then you, but I bailed after 30 minutes.

Matherly
2002-Sep-27, 07:55 PM
More 'John Doe'...

Well, I liked it. Or at least I liked it enough to keep watching it for a while. There are a few thoughts though.

1. The rules for the 'knowledge memory' thing needs to be defined pretty darn pronto or else it will turn into a cheep trick. The pilot seems to hint that he has access to "public" knowledge, i.e. knowledge that the average citizen with no security clearance could aquire if they knew where to look. After all, he had to hack into the conviction records for the kidnapper.
2. They will have to keep the show from devolving into "Gilligan's Memory" where each show he is just moments away from finding out all the answers and then loses them. This sort of crap is just to &%^*ing frustrating to watch!

Well, I know I'll be watching Firefly and John Doe tonight /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Donnie B.
2002-Sep-27, 09:14 PM
On 2002-09-26 19:48, frenat wrote:
I saw a video once where a maintenance worker accidentally go sucked into an intake of a fighter jet. Amazingly he came out the other end with just a few scratches. I never heard how the engine ended up though.

I assume this was an animated cartoon -- to my knowledge. there's no jet engine in the world a human being could pass through unharmed, even if it wasn't running (unless it was disassembled!)

You'd be more likely to be able to squeeze through the bars of a jail cell! Not that I think you'd ever need to... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

KarenS
2002-Sep-27, 09:19 PM
I assume this was an animated cartoon

That was that scene in The Phantom Menace, right before the pod race, where the robot was sucked into a pod engine and came out ok. That's the first thing I thought of when he described the human going through.

moving_target
2002-Sep-27, 10:43 PM
On 2002-09-27 17:14, Donnie B. wrote:

I assume this was an animated cartoon -- to my knowledge. there's no jet engine in the world a human being could pass through unharmed, even if it wasn't running (unless it was disassembled!)

no it was not a cartoon. it was a actual video of a man being sucked into the air intake of an aircraft engine (i think it was a harrer). He did not pass thought the engine, and he was not unharmed. Although considering the fact that he wasn't killed, i assume that the engine receaved the brunt of the dammage.

xriso
2002-Sep-28, 01:40 AM
On 2002-09-27 18:43, moving_target wrote:

On 2002-09-27 17:14, Donnie B. wrote:

no it was not a cartoon. it was a actual video of a man being sucked into the air intake of an aircraft engine (i think it was a harrer). He did not pass thought the engine, and he was not unharmed. Although considering the fact that he wasn't killed, i assume that the engine receaved the brunt of the dammage.

I think I've seen that clip too.

Anyway, here are some jet-engine-sucking related links:
http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/93/134/04_6_m.html (about monkeys. monkeys are good.)
http://www.globemaster.de/airextreme/jets.html (a guy getting sucked into a jet engine is one of the clips)

David Hall
2002-Sep-28, 02:30 AM
On 2002-09-27 21:40, xriso wrote:

http://www.globemaster.de/airextreme/jets.html (a guy getting sucked into a jet engine is one of the clips)

The clip on that page is the same one I remember seeing too. It was on an "incredible things caught on film" type show broadcast on Discovery here a few months ago. They kept showing part of it as a teaser before commercial breaks. But it looked so gruesome I couldn't bear to watch the actual segment (I'm a bit squeamish about this sort of thing). Now I wish I had. I'm amazed and relieved that this guy survived pretty much intact.

kadath
2002-Sep-28, 03:34 AM
On 2002-09-27 22:30, David Hall wrote:

I'm amazed and relieved that this guy survived pretty much intact.

It's not that amazing that someone sucked through a jet engine came out pretty much unscathed. Even sitting on the runway spinning up, a turbofan engine is still moving air at at several hundred miles per hour. Anyone picked up by the engine would be passed through in under a second, not long enough for the burner to do any real damage. Also, turbofan blades are very brittle, and the force of a human body hitting would destroy the fan. The only thing I can think of about getting sucked through a jet engine that could really hurt someone is if they knocked their head against the airframe.

It seems amazing, but jet engines are actually rather fragile. They're machined to careful tolerances because of weight and thermal restrictions, and only operate at their peak efficiencies in a small range of conditions.

xriso
2002-Sep-28, 06:14 PM
Firefly episode TWO: Did anyone pick up some bad astronomy from this one? I think one of the crew said that a person's blood boils in space. Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think the engineer was saying something like "that ship's spinning around because that thruster is broken", instead of saying it's spinning due to angular momentum.

Rich
2002-Sep-30, 02:14 PM
Yes, I caught those. Got the "we found a new system and terraformed hundreds of earths" (or something to that affect) this time too. The whole intro is actually pretty muddled. I know what they are trying to say, but it is presented in such a dull, lifeless, inconsistent way as to be rather a put off. If I were very judgmental I'd never get past the poor intro.

The rest of the show is pretty good, but they still can't decide on their astronomical terms. They seem to be headed in the right direction about half the time, but then they say something totally contradictory. For example, when talking about the "Reavers" (apparent mutated human boogey-men who've spent a little too much time dwelling in deepspace around the galaxy's fringes) they talk about the rim of the galaxy and such. They seem to imply that the reavers largely strike near the outer edges of the galaxy. Later when talking to the alliance captain our intrepid leader makes the same inferences, but this time says, "I take it this is your first patrol on the edges of the system?" Which is it?

They also constantly refer to the "inner worlds" rather than inner systems. Further muddying the waters. Are they just imprecise, or do they not know what they're talking about?

The general lack of clarity between one huge solar system of hundreds of habitable planets and a number of solar systems is going to be a problem for me. I cringe everytime the conflict comes up.

Conrad
2002-Sep-30, 02:18 PM
I recall reading about an industrial accident in an aerospace factory here in the UK. The eyewitness who described it ( doubtless after having several very large whiskys) said that a fellow worker unwisely walked in front of a safety fence, directly in front of a static aircraft engine while it was running. The unfortunate chap was sucked from the floor and into the engine. There wasn't a lot left of him, according to the article. Another such tale I was told, by someone who used to work at an airport (maybe true, maybe airport urban legend), concerned one of the ground crew who was busy beetling about a passenger jet. He was in front of an engine when the flight crew started it up (safety procedures? who needs 'em!). Luckily for him, he managed to hold on to the engine and avoid being sucked in. Unluckily, he was stuck there for several minutes until someone noticed him and the power was turned off. He was off work on sick leave for quite a while.

XPav
2002-Sep-30, 07:58 PM
On 2002-09-28 14:14, xriso wrote:
Firefly episode TWO: Did anyone pick up some bad astronomy from this one? I think one of the crew said that a person's blood boils in space. Also, I'm not sure about this, but I think the engineer was saying something like "that ship's spinning around because that thruster is broken", instead of saying it's spinning due to angular momentum.

Seemed fine to me. Sill no sound in space! A ship got blown up after being skewered with a green beam of some sort, and it was quite a shock to NOT hear anything.

I downloaded the so-far-unaired "real" pilot from the internet, and one scene in that features a Reaver ship flipping over for a reentry burn.

KarenS
2002-Sep-30, 08:09 PM
I downloaded the so-far-unaired "real" pilot from the internet,

Where did you get that? So far I've been foiled in my attempts to tape the show (faulty memory for the first episode, faulty equipment for the second episode--argh, I need a DVD recorder!)

XPav
2002-Sep-30, 11:24 PM
On 2002-09-30 16:09, KarenS wrote:

I downloaded the so-far-unaired "real" pilot from the internet,

Where did you get that? So far I've been foiled in my attempts to tape the show (faulty memory for the first episode, faulty equipment for the second episode--argh, I need a DVD recorder!)

I used Kazaa. Do a search for "Firefly", be prepared to wait a week while the 800megs of video download (and I have DSL).

Video & sound quality of the unaired pilot is awful. At one point, "TIMER REC WILL START SOON" flashes up on the screen. The train episode's quality is much better. Again, 400 megs.

Figured out why they called the show "Firefly" though -- the main engine at the back of their spaceship glows brightly and makes the ship look like... a firefly!

KarenS
2002-Sep-30, 11:37 PM
Thanks! It shouldn't be too bad with a cable modem.

Bad Engineer
2002-Oct-04, 06:14 PM
Seemed fine to me. Sill no sound in space! A ship got blown up after being skewered with a green beam of some sort, and it was quite a shock to NOT hear anything.

I caught that as well - I thought it was pretty neat, actually. Maybe it's that I'm so used to the loud blasts that take place in most hollywood sci-fi shows, but to me the no-sound-after-an-explosion thing was pretty eerie & added quite a bit to the atmosphere & mood. Who knew that making things somewhat realistic could be entertaining as well ...

BE

johnwitts
2002-Oct-21, 12:53 AM
I used Kazaa. Do a search for "Firefly", be prepared to wait a week while the 800megs of video download (and I have DSL).

Could you be more specific about how to do this? E-mail me if it's a bit naughty.../phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Russ
2002-Oct-21, 09:09 PM
On 2002-09-27 23:34, kadath wrote:

On 2002-09-27 22:30, David Hall wrote:

I'm amazed and relieved that this guy survived pretty much intact.

It's not that amazing that someone sucked through a jet engine came out pretty much unscathed. Even sitting on the runway spinning up, a turbofan engine is still moving air at at several hundred miles per hour. Anyone picked up by the engine would be passed through in under a second, not long enough for the burner to do any real damage. Also, turbofan blades are very brittle, and the force of a human body hitting would destroy the fan. The only thing I can think of about getting sucked through a jet engine that could really hurt someone is if they knocked their head against the airframe.

It seems amazing, but jet engines are actually rather fragile. They're machined to careful tolerances because of weight and thermal restrictions, and only operate at their peak efficiencies in a small range of conditions.

I have worked on a fair number of turbofan jet engines and I can personally attest to the fact that a human could not pass through a turbofan engine and survive. This would be regardless of whether is was running or not. That would be the functional equivilent of being tossed into a blender and not being prureed.

Some engines have screening in front of them that prevent anything larger than the screen size (usually a cm or two) from entering the compressor stage of the turbine. This may be how the guy sucked into the Harrier jet survived. That's just speculation though.

Regarding the thoughness of the engines. Both GE and Pratt & Whitney shoot chickens (bought at the grocery store) at their running engines to test whether they can contain the damage caused. Having seen a video of this test I can vouch for the fact that nothing bigger than a bacteria would survive.

frenat
2002-Oct-22, 11:48 PM

Russ, did you actually watch the clip on this page? The guy goes completely inside the engine and although hard to see on the internet clip, when it was on TV, you could see him come out the other side. Also, the clip ends by showing the man a few hours later with some bandages but mostly intact and awake. I will agree that most things would not survive going through a running engine but there is always the chance for an exception.

xriso
2002-Oct-23, 02:40 AM
Not everybody who goes through a jet engine survives:
http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200204/19/eng20020419_94377.shtml

informant
2002-Oct-23, 02:28 PM
Here's a petition (http://www.petitiononline.com/firefly1/) to save 'Firefly'. Apparently, there are rumours that it's going to be cancelled. I thought some of you might be interested.

KarenS
2002-Oct-23, 02:47 PM
Already? How well did they think it was going to do on Friday evenings at 8? Interrupted by the World Series?

*grumble*

Russ
2002-Oct-23, 09:09 PM
On 2002-10-22 19:48, frenat wrote:

Russ, did you actually watch the clip on this page? The guy goes completely inside the engine and although hard to see on the internet clip, when it was on TV, you could see him come out the other side. Also, the clip ends by showing the man a few hours later with some bandages but mostly intact and awake. I will agree that most things would not survive going through a running engine but there is always the chance for an exception.

No I have not seen the clip. I thought I'd made that clear. Obviously not. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif Knowing what I do about turbofan jet engines I cannot envision someone being sucked into an operating aircraft version and that person surviving.

While I have seen Harrier aircraft up close and personal, there must be some aspect of the induction section, that I am not aware of, which allowed this person to survive.

On a high bypass engine, (such as in the Harrior) the inductor fan, the thing you see when looking into the front of a jet engine, is ducted in such a way that the tips of the blades are not in the incoming air stream. This is so the blade tips cannot go super sonic while the engine is spinning. One could not "bypass" these blades. For this reason, if you get sucked into the intake of the engine, you will be very thinly sliced by the inductor blades (think pepperoni) and then pureed by the compressor section (as in your Warring blendor).

As I mentioned above, there must be some aspect of the way a Harrier is built that allowed this person to be pulled into the intake duct and spit out a side dump before passing thru the inductor blades. Having stuck my head in the intake of a secured Harrier, I can say I have not seen provision such a side dump. Is it possible that the clip was hacked or does not clearly depict what really happened? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Russ
2002-Oct-23, 09:53 PM
Ok, I followed the link and watched the clip about a dozen times.

First, the plane is not a Harrier, it is an A-6 Intruder. BIIIIGGGG difference.

Second, the A-6's engine is mounted at the very back end of the plane. In a Harrier it's right up front. So the guy being sucked in the intake duct at the front is about 15 feet from the engine inductor blades. A-6's are dive bomber type attack aircraft and have what's called a "waste gate" ahead of the engine. It's used for divering air away from the engine intake when the plane dives. This allows the pilot to keep the turbine "spun up" (rotating at high speed) while not getting the thrust normally associated with such engine speeds. He can do a nice slow, controlled dive, then close the waste gate and speed away at full power.

It appears that the man is sucked into the intake duct and falls out the waste gate just ahead of the engine. You will note in the clip, as soon as he is most of the way into the intake, fire erupts from the engine exhaust at the very back of the plane. This happens because the engine is not getting enough air and excess fuel is buring outside the exhaust as it comes in contact with the oxygen in the air.

When the guy falls out you will note that he is ahead of the burning exhaust. This is why I think he fell out of the waste gate instead of actually going through the engine.

You will also note that some fire comes out the waste gate with the guy. As he comes out, the engine suddenly gets a big gulp of oxygen as his body exits (unblocks) the duct. This would probably cause unburned fuel from the engine to "rebound" forward (burp)exiting through the waste gate.
So the short version is, he didn't actually go through the engine.

If you ever go to Las Vegas, you'll want to take that guy with you. He's the luckiest SOB on the face of the Earth. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

informant
2002-Oct-28, 12:19 PM
More about Firefly's "cancellation" (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-7097/).

Colt
2002-Oct-29, 06:59 AM
First, I think FireFly was ok.. Since I am a "gun-nut" the fireams bugged me.. They were just.. stupid. If you had spaceships like that and interstellar travel you would definately have something more advanced than S&W revolvers (which those were) and Winchester "Mare Legs". For this reason, I will not be watching the show. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif *goes to see if he can find his rant off of the trekbbs..* I can't seem to find it right now so oh well.

There is another clip of a guy being sucked into a jet engine. This happened during the day, on an aircraft carrier. The guy was VERY lucky, more than the guy being saved by the waste gate.. His helmet saved him. It somehow jammed against something and stopped him from being pulled into the fan. The guy crawled out of the engine and was fine. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif -Colt

moving_target
2002-Oct-29, 08:33 AM
Colt, i think the idea for the show is that, sure there are lasers, but they are too expencive for an average joe to afford. as for the exact model of guns they are using, i don't know since i am not a gun aficionado, but it does add to the wild west feel of the show. if thats not your thing, more power to ya. but i think that like or dislike of the show souldn't be based solely on prop department choices.

informant
2002-Oct-29, 02:59 PM
This seems to confirm that Firefly is in trouble...

Will Fox Swat Firefly? (http://www.tvguide.com/newsgossip/insider/021025b.asp)

Rich
2002-Nov-04, 03:24 PM
They changed the intro... Now we've terraformed several whole galaxies. At least that's what it sounded like. It might have been only one new galaxy.

How would one go about terraforming a whole galaxy anyway?

The show is still fun, even if the intro is driving me crazy.

Chuck
2002-Nov-04, 03:51 PM
Speaking of being driven crazy, the TV signal went out for a couple of minutes during the most recent episode, during the sword fight. The captain had just been stabbed during his rush against the bad guy. Then the screen went dark. When broadcast resumed the bad guy was on his back with a sword at his throat. This show had better go into reruns before they cancel it.

Launch window
2005-Oct-09, 02:39 PM
I'm going to get my hands on this dvd of the tv show

James_Digriz
2005-Oct-13, 03:07 AM

We need to distinguish between Turbojet and Turbofan engines here. A human body getting sucked into a turbojet engine is turned into paste. The only way someone can survive is if they get sucked into a large turbofan engine where most of the air bypasses the compressor, combustion chamber, and turbine.

Daniel H.
2005-Oct-13, 03:50 AM
We need to distinguish between Turbojet and Turbofan engines here. A human body getting sucked into a turbojet engine is turned into paste. The only way someone can survive is if they get sucked into a large turbofan engine where most of the air bypasses the compressor, combustion chamber, and turbine.

I just want to point out quickly that this thread was resurrected from 2002 for someone to say that they'd be picking up the DVDs. I think it's safe to say that the discussion you're commenting on is long dead.

JMV
2005-Oct-14, 03:28 PM
Even though this discussion is three years old I'd like to comment on this.

You can't see the guy coming out of the exhaust end of the engine. It would be impossible because he backed out of the inlet about four minutes after he had been sucked in. Here's someone more knowledgeable of the incidence explaining how it happened:
http://yarchive.net/mil/human_fod.html