PDA

View Full Version : Alignment of the Eclectics?

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-28, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I've been surfing some of the wilder sites on the Web again, partly for the giggle-factor and partly because even when their conclusions are definitely from Cloudcuckooland sometimes these n*tcases do come up with some interesting factoids or ideas. Anyway, without getting into the far-fetched conclusions drawn on the site where I stole this, I'd like to ask about the astronomical value if any of the following:

[A certain person, name unimportant here] ... has determined that the Earth and Sun will be aligning with the center of the galaxy sometime between 1999 and 2000. The equatorial plane of the Earth, known as the eclectic, aligns with the eclectic of the Sun, at the same time that they both align with the eclectic of the Galactic Core. This unique alignment occurs only four times during the precession of the equinox cycle.... The last configuration similar to this upcoming alignment corresponded to around 9500 B.C.

I'm posting this under 'General Astronomy', not 'Against the Mainstream', because as I said I'm not concerned about the conclusions drawn from said event, only if it is or was an event (this is also why I'm not posting a link to the site where I found it). I'm interested in whether or not:

The description of the alignment even makes astronomical sense;
If so, such an alignment did or did not occur sometime in either '99 or '00; and
The stated timing of the re-occurences of the alignment is correct, even approximately.

The (usually non-aligned) Curtmudgeon

Bob
2001-Nov-28, 09:50 PM
On 2001-11-28 16:19, The Curtmudgeon wrote:
Yeah, I've been surfing some of the wilder sites on the Web again, partly for the giggle-factor and partly because even when their conclusions are definitely from Cloudcuckooland sometimes these n*tcases do come up with some interesting factoids or ideas. Anyway, without getting into the far-fetched conclusions drawn on the site where I stole this, I'd like to ask about the astronomical value if any of the following:

[A certain person, name unimportant here] ... has determined that the Earth and Sun will be aligning with the center of the galaxy sometime between 1999 and 2000. The equatorial plane of the Earth, known as the eclectic, aligns with the eclectic of the Sun, at the same time that they both align with the eclectic of the Galactic Core. This unique alignment occurs only four times during the precession of the equinox cycle.... The last configuration similar to this upcoming alignment corresponded to around 9500 B.C.

I'm posting this under 'General Astronomy', not 'Against the Mainstream', because as I said I'm not concerned about the conclusions drawn from said event, only if it is or was an event (this is also why I'm not posting a link to the site where I found it). I'm interested in whether or not:

The description of the alignment even makes astronomical sense;
If so, such an alignment did or did not occur sometime in either '99 or '00; and
The stated timing of the re-occurences of the alignment is correct, even approximately.

The (usually non-aligned) Curtmudgeon

First of all, the "ecliptic" is the plane of the earth's orbit extended to meet the celestial sphere. It is not the same as the equatorial plane of the Earth. "Eclectic" means selected from different sources and has nothing to do with astronomy.
Care to rephrase your question?

DStahl
2001-Nov-28, 09:56 PM
I'll bet Curtmugeon knows full well the difference between eclectic and ecliptic, but obviously the creator of that site doesn't.

Heh--pretty eclectic group on the BABB, though we seldom align. As for myself, more aligned with Pain of the Electric a the moment, think I'll take a nap.

The Curtmudgeon
2001-Nov-28, 10:36 PM
The funny thing is, while I definitely do know the meaning of 'eclectic', I drew a total blank on that misusage--except that while I was typing my text around the quote I kept mistyping it (should have been a dead giveaway for me!). My brain stem knew that it was the wrong word, but it wasn't penetrating to my (more or less) conscious mind. The quote itself really was cut-n-paste from the site, not just a retyping on my part (except where noted by the ellipses and brackets).

Anyway, thanx. Given that they can't even get the term straight, I'll not bother my head any further about whether the concept makes any sense.

The (eclecticly challenged) Curtmudgeon