PDA

View Full Version : Hi - I'm new to the boards...

Iam2004
2003-Dec-27, 07:15 PM
Hello fellow knowledge seekers, :D

I have just discovered this board and it’s been quite interesting to read some of your comments. It really makes me re-question our existence in this “vast” thing called time. Anyway, if there is one question that I would love to have answered it would be: What is existence, why are we here and what is beyond our existence?” Now I’m not asking for you guys to answer it because I know that no one knows this answer but the “creator” of this universe (whoever the “creator” may be).

In thinking about life and existence and what is beyond it, I have cultivated a wacky theory that I am positive has been broached before: What if our whole existence – all these billions upon billions of years – is unreal? Is it possible that every living thing or everything in existence now, before and ahead is all just a figment of our collective imaginations? Think about it for a moment. If there is really only nothingness beyond our universe then maybe we all live in nothingness as well. As our minds are unable to comprehend nothingness it may be a difficult theory to except but it doesn’t mean that it is not true – certainly there must be a possibility.

I know someone will try to debunk the theory by saying, “Well how do you explain history? Does that mean that everyone and everything that has come before us was a figment of our imagination?” Well no, not exactly. I’m not saying that history hasn’t happened because it most likely did, in a way. I believe that there is no real truth or answer to anything because our minds are not fit to understand everything completely; therefore there can be no answer that is deemed “the right answer.” So therefore if there is no universal truth maybe there is no universal existence in the sense that we all believe there to be. Maybe there is no such thing as the universe? Maybe there is no such thing as our beloved planet earth. Maybe there is no such thing as our sacred lives? Maybe what is beyond the “universe” is the same thing that is inside – absolutely nothing!

It’s only my theory, now I’d like to hear what you guys and dolls have to say. I sincerely hope that I haven’t offended anyone and if I did I am sorry. My intent was to see if others have thought about this as I have. :)

Littlemews
2003-Dec-27, 07:34 PM
Nothing...hmm interseting ;) but if there is nothing, then why you are here :lol:

Because everything is by guessing, therefore people don&#39;t believe in them, but what we doing is to turn the guessing into truth, and now truth is exist, then history, then universal... :lol: (Gash I dunno what I am talking about ><)

"If there is life exist, then history is exist as well." by Littlemews

Fraser
2003-Dec-27, 07:38 PM
Do a search on the web for the "greater anthropic principle". Your theory is a well supported direction that quantum physicists are following which essentially says that the Universe exists because we&#39;re here to observe it.

Iam2004
2003-Dec-27, 07:40 PM
Nothing...hmm interseting but if there is nothing, then why you are here

Maybe it&#39;s just my imagination?

Because everything is by guessing, therefore people don&#39;t believe in them, but what we doing is to turn the guessing into truth, and now truth is exist, then history, then universal... (Gash I dunno what I am talking about ><)

It&#39;s a tough thing to explain, I know. Tough for me too.

-------------------
Thanks fraser, I&#39;ll search now.

Iam2004
2003-Dec-27, 07:55 PM
Fraser,
The greater anthropic principle is quite an interesting theory. It must be widely debunked amongst certain groups. How accurate is this theory and why don&#39;t we(the regular Joe) hear about it?

GOURDHEAD
2003-Dec-27, 07:57 PM
If your theory is true (I don&#39;t agree that it is), it is outside the scientific process and appears to be unfalsifiable. It is mired in futility and bounded by imagination and speculation and its value is comparable (athough not favorably) to performing calisthenics in lieu of performing real work that would exercise the same muscles more appropriately while at the same time performing a needed task.

Otherwise; how charming&#33;&#33;&#33;

Iam2004
2003-Dec-27, 08:05 PM
If your theory is true (I don&#39;t agree that it is), it is outside the scientific process and appears to be unfalsifiable. It is mired in futility and bounded by imagination and speculation and its value is comparable (athough not favorably) to performiong calisthenics in lieu of performing real work that would exercise the same muscles more appropriately while at same time performing a needed task.

Well, it was only speculation on my part. I&#39;m not a scientifically informed person so it was a guess based on my own personal vainness and curiosity. You are correct sir.

Otherwise; how charming&#33;&#33;&#33;

I like that part&#33;

kashi
2003-Dec-27, 11:43 PM
Welcome to the forum Iam2004&#33;

Some interesting ideas. There are a few topics like that around here. I suggest reading some Hawking. There&#39;s a collection of lectures/transcripts in a book called "Black Holes and Baby Universes". It explains the anthropic principle quite well. I got a lot out of it.

Iam2004
2003-Dec-27, 11:58 PM
Thanks Kashi&#33;

Kootenaistar
2003-Dec-30, 09:28 PM
lam2004, from one dust speck to another, welcome to the forum&#33;
Yes, I&#39;ve thought about that sort of possibility too. But the one thing that always hit home with me for the final hurrah was the unanswerable "Why?" Even the scientists are still working on that one.
In the meanwhile, I just am thankful for the fantastic views of this universe that we seem to believe in and I enjoy every opportunity to see and understand a bit more.
Good luck in your quest&#33; :)

VanderL
2003-Dec-31, 02:04 PM
Although the thoughts are interesting, in my view this direction (theoretical physics seems to be heading the same way) has little to do with science. This is what thought experiments can lead to, in the end it has no physical meaning. Ideas have be falsifiable.
The fact that when I look back and compare what really (in my view of course) happened to what might have happened, I must say that either my imagination is infinite (yeah, right), or there really is a world out there that I can interact with.
Cheers.