PDA

View Full Version : Binary Star systems

VanderL
2003-Dec-31, 01:34 PM
Why are most stars part of a binary ( or even triple) star system. It seems highly unlikely that gravitational collapse of gas would yield more that one star.

Planetwatcher
2004-Jan-01, 03:24 AM
Strangly enough more star systems are binaries, then those which are not.
Perhaps something causes a division either in or prior to the proto star stage.

Littlemews
2004-Jan-01, 04:26 AM
This is what I think :

Mostly all the binary stars are like a brother, usually the big brother is evil, then he tooks away his little brother's power and become one... :lol: :lol:

lazserus
2004-Jan-01, 04:46 AM
Single star systems are quite rare. Binary systems are more the trend in the universe. Consider the nebulae that stars form in. They are extraordinarily vast and contain quite an abundance of dense interstellar gas. It's conjectured that most stars are birthed in groups as apposed to solely. Also, after one star is formed the gravitational environment is altered significantly, which can cause more dust to collapse and collide.

VanderL
2004-Jan-01, 12:22 PM
If a large a enough amount of material exists to form several stars, why isn't one larger star the result? In my opinion, gravity alone is not something that leads to stable conditions, because it only works one way. And to me it seems that the "altered gravitational environment" works in favour of single stars and not in favour of multiple stars that are gravitationally bound.