PDA

View Full Version : Warping Decay

imported_Ziggy
2004-Jan-03, 05:46 PM
If you could warp space-time like they do in star trek (contracting space-time in front of you and expanding it behind you) won't space-time, after going through so many distortions...well rip? Which is very scary because warping and or wormholes might be the only two means that humanity can accommplish faster-then-light travel.

"Earth is the cradle of life, but one cannot live in the cradle forever"

damienpaul
2004-Jan-04, 02:45 AM
interesting thought, what effect would too many of these rips have?

Littlemews
2004-Jan-04, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Jan 4 2004, 02:45 AM
interesting thought, what effect would too many of these rips have?
nothing I guess :)

Josh
2004-Jan-04, 07:57 AM
well...i don't know about the real science of it but from what i've read Star Trek writers tend to try and stick to realistic THEORY as much as possible. There's a good book by Lawrence Krauss called The Physics of Star Trek which evaluates all the star trek science.

As to the rips in space etc according to star trek, In order to have a functioning warp drive you have to create a stable subspace field. Warp drives cause subspace field distortions (like you asked about). These distortions can in turn cause Subspace instabilities which can grow into subspace rifts. This basically means that subspace is now freely flowing in normal space. Warp drives won't work in subspace and therefore that is the downside of the rips in space. What's more, subspace ruptures suppoisedly can draw in normal space matter. Bad for anyone in the general vacinity. Now .. that is the Star Trek view on things...

damienpaul
2004-Jan-04, 11:58 AM
so essentially a "black hole rift" of sorts...(spot the geologist)