PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spirit's First Colour Photo of Mars

Fraser
2004-Jan-06, 07:31 PM
SUMMARY: Well, here it is, the picture we've all been waiting for - the first colour image from the surface of Mars taken by Spirit. I can't believe the resolution this rover has. I've taken a big chunk of the image and processed it to be a 1280 x 1024 wallpaper. To set this image as your desktop wallpaper, click the following link, and then right-click anywhere in the image and select "Set as Wallpaper".

Click here to download the first colour image of Mars taken by Spirit. (156 KB)

If you want to access the original, high-resolution image from NASA, click here instead. I'll warn you, though, it's more than 4 MB... and that's just the medium resolution version.

Enjoy!

Fraser Cain
Publisher
Universe Today

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

damienpaul
2004-Jan-06, 10:37 PM
what a ripper picture!!!! i think i will build my house a bit in the distance on the left hand side. Fraser you could start an empire.....

Dan Burke
2004-Jan-08, 12:14 AM
:o Awesome, just awesome.

jimmy
2004-Jan-08, 12:17 AM
Now that...is...nice...!!!

DippyHippy
2004-Jan-08, 02:43 AM
It's pretty amazing... I mean, I know it's just a dusty desert with some rocks strewn everywhere... but this is a whole other world!! The detail is fantastic...

Fraser
2004-Jan-08, 03:48 AM
And this isn't the highest resolution version. I could have provided a wallpaper of just a few rocks. It's crazy.

kashi
2004-Jan-08, 04:15 AM
For all those folks with broadband, what is the url to the highest resolution photo?

anewton
2004-Jan-08, 06:09 AM
The photo is just fantastic! Am I wrong, or does there appear to be "clouds", or layers of gases that seem to be above the horizon? There are some differences ( bands of color) showing up in the first color photo. It really seems to confirm my thoughts expressed in the Discussion: Spirit Lands Safely on page 4.

kashi
2004-Jan-08, 10:35 AM
Okay I found it myself. http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA04995

40.41 mb of rock.

anewton
2004-Jan-08, 06:35 PM
This photo really intriges me. On closer look, the circular areas look like mudpuddles that have dried over time leaving several rings. I don't think that the surface is loose soil of any sort because there is no "build up" around any of the rocks. Not even the clusters of rocks. The dirt appears to be "stuck" in some manner to them.

Sky
2004-Jan-09, 03:52 PM
:blink:
I'm astonished. I've already known Mars is red!! What's new?
Sky