PDA

View Full Version : the year 3000

damienpaul
2004-Jan-06, 11:43 PM
What do others think will be the world/civilisation in the year 3000?

My ideas are that we would have colonised a lot of the solar system and that earth would be straddled by an equatorial ring.....

i was inspired by Arthur C Clarke's book 3001: the final odyssey

DippyHippy
2004-Jan-07, 11:29 PM
That book was just a collection of ideas... some quite neat, but nothing very original... the story stank though LOL

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-30, 12:21 PM
I think this question posed really demands a more worthwhile answer than that supplied.

Looking ahead 1000 years one must foresee a great deal of change, but when one looks back at what's occured during the past 1000 years, one notices that the first half of the 2nd millennium was rather wasted, in fact, over a period of a few hundred years post the year 1000 the world, in a technological sense, went basically nowhere and it took until the renaissance for that to change.

It just goes to show what a heavy influence politics has on everything, and that really, this present era is one we shouldn't waste, for who knows what empires and conflicts await us in even 50 years time that could well derail and divert precious funding dollars to more basic areas outside technological advancement.

One of the most worrying things today is surely the ageing of the population, and the places that should be most worried about this are Europe & Japan, and perhaps eventually China, although social welfare in China is something different altogether to that in the West.

Despite all that though, I would fervently hope that by Y3K we would be a space-faring civilisation with the ability to zip around the Solar System pretty much at will, and would also hope that by then we would have ascertained if there were any other intelligent civilisations in our own Galaxy, and if we had, that we had begun to make efforts to really make contact with them, but I fear that would be a while yet.

(And I guess this is all assuming we don't run into a Terminato type scenario)

Nicolas
2005-Oct-30, 12:57 PM
Not much has changed but they live under water.

And your great-great-great...

Oh never mind. That collection of "great" is imo the only "great" connection to that song :D.

cran
2005-Oct-30, 01:00 PM
What do others think will be the world/civilisation in the year 3000? Hi damienpaul, long time no read :lol:

At different times when I've thought about it, I get one of three possibilities:

1. an interstellar community with travelling and planet-bound colonies, and economics has gone the way of alchemy; nationalities and ethnicities become meaningless ... ;

2. an 'apocalypse/dark ages' scenario, which may or may not be overcome by then (extinction being the ultimate 'may not'...);

3. a global society much like ours, which considers itself advanced and enlightened because of the latest generation of gadgets and theories; which continues to ignore anything considered 'too hard' or 'someone else's problem'...

WaxRubiks
2005-Oct-30, 01:41 PM
"in the year 3535
ain't gonna need to tell the truth tell no lies
everything you think do and say
is in the pill you took today"

www.lyricsdownload.com/zager-evans-in-the-year-2525-lyrics.html

Enzp
2005-Oct-30, 08:24 PM
Zager and Evans!!. I heard them in an interview and one of them said, "Oh, ALL our songs are profound."

I think there will be world wide problems in 3000. All the computers will not be able to turn over the first digit and.....

Gemini
2005-Oct-30, 08:42 PM
a cigar smoking, beer drinking robot will say," Bite my shiny metal daffodil axx.............."

Candy
2005-Oct-30, 10:31 PM

Oh never mind. That collection of "great" is imo the only "great" connection to that song :D.
I like the underwater image, butt I also like the Bender Bending Rodriguez angle, too.

fossilnut2
2005-Oct-30, 10:50 PM
"in the year 3535
ain't gonna need to tell the truth tell no lies
everything you think do and say
is in the pill you took today"

www.lyricsdownload.com/zager-evans-in-the-year-2525-lyrics.html

Frog march beat me to it.

I foresee humans in 1000 years or 2000 or 'whenever' dividing history and most all human related activity into two eras.

1.A history and society based on mortal human beings...when death was a given and social structure, culture, etc. revolved around that concept (the family, economics, belief systems, etc.) and

2. A mankind based on a society in which death is not a certainty. Not so much immortality but when the expectation of death doesn't govern our thinking. Advances in genetics, material engineering, etc. pushes human longevity over the immediate horizon of our thoughts.

The absence of death 'as the norm' will completely shake up all other social, cultural, etc. variables.

Glom
2005-Oct-30, 11:58 PM
There will be penguins on Pluto. Suicide booths that look like old telephone boxes. Loads of aliens of Earth. The heads of famous people from the past will be preserved alive in water bottles so they can share their wisdom as sass.

Kebsis
2005-Oct-31, 03:21 AM
Statues of The Great Kebsis will line all cities in the solar system. Life will be pretty bleak other than that.

paulie jay
2005-Oct-31, 04:08 AM
Every person will be encased in a "virtual universe pod" so they won't ever have to be bothered by another living soul. The pods will be super-couch-potato sized of course, except for those with the Insta-LipoSuc attatchment fitted.

mickal555
2005-Oct-31, 10:47 AM
I hope I'm still alive to see year 3000

Heid the Ba'
2005-Oct-31, 12:50 PM

I don't know which depresses me more, the fact you quoted that, or the fact I recognise the quote............

Nicolas
2005-Oct-31, 02:36 PM
The fact that I even imagine the clip that comes with the song maybe?

*shivers* :D

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Oct-31, 08:32 PM
:whistle: we have been to the year 3000, nothing much's changed but we live under water, and your great great great granddaughter, shes doing fine.....:whistle:

we need another war for more development like the WW3

Nicolas
2005-Nov-01, 12:23 PM
Please tell me you just made a small mistake in the lyrics, and that there is no place on earth where THAT song gets sencored because of its "erotic content" :D.

I could think of a very good reason to censor that song though :D.

I could do without a WW3 I think ...

Heid the Ba'
2005-Nov-01, 04:55 PM
I can't see anyone being offended by "she's mighty fine".

I am so ashamed I know this.

Nicolas
2005-Nov-01, 05:09 PM
"she's pretty fine" iirc :) Shame gone. I suspect people of deliberatly pretending not to know the lyrics :D.