PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood and NASA



nebularain
2002-Sep-26, 01:16 AM
Hey, check this out:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/09/25/nasa.hollywood.reut/index.html

I wonder if NASA will make a requirement that the producers get the astronomy right?

kucharek
2002-Sep-26, 07:24 AM
"In a weird way NASA is trying to answer some of the biggest questions in life and sometimes Hollywood is asking those same questions."

Who gets the girl?
Whodunnit?

Jim
2002-Sep-26, 12:17 PM
On 2002-09-26 03:24, kucharek wrote:
"In a weird way NASA is trying to answer some of the biggest questions in life and sometimes Hollywood is asking those same questions."

Who gets the girl?
Whodunnit?


Well, in a way, NASA is trying to answer the latter.

KarenS
2002-Sep-26, 05:14 PM
Ahem... I'm much more interested in who gets the *boy*. Or Man, to be more accurate. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

They do have an excellent point though, about inspiring people. I don't think they have to have it all perfectly correct in order for it to work, as long as they make an effort and come close. (And besides, if they always got it right, what would *we* talk about?) I mean, did Armegeddon inspire *anybody* about astronomy and space? Gosh, I almost hope it didn't in a way.

BTW, what was the last movie or TV show about space that really inspired each of you? For me it was Apollo 13, but then, I'm a geeky engineer--I swear that movie was made for the likes of me!

ToSeek
2002-Sep-26, 10:02 PM
On 2002-09-26 13:14, KarenS wrote:
BTW, what was the last movie or TV show about space that really inspired each of you? For me it was Apollo 13, but then, I'm a geeky engineer--I swear that movie was made for the likes of me!


All right, my kind of woman! (I've seen the movie nine times so far, not counting just watching the liftoff part on video - I've lost count of doing that.) If I weren't married already, I'd be asking if you were single. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

n810
2002-Sep-26, 11:02 PM
Hey... Apollo 13 is on AMC tonight... Me thinks I shall watch it and be inspired again.

Oh yeah, and if you want some fun stuff to do when you wish you were getting launched check out http://www.marscenter.it/iss/download_iss.htm

build your own ISS!

(edited for bad spelling, hey i'm into math, not typing... geez, cut a guy a break! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif )



_________________
"I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure." Ripley/Hicks, Aliens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n810 on 2002-09-26 19:03 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: n810 on 2002-09-26 19:04 ]</font>

KarenS
2002-Sep-27, 12:34 AM
ROFL! Of course I'm single--for some odd reason, it's nearly impossible for a woman who loves science and engineering and sports to find a decent guy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I agree about the liftoff sequence--I still have a hard time believing that wasn't actual footage. And I'm still bummed the film didn't win the Oscar. Mel Gibson is highly overrated.

Rift
2002-Sep-27, 03:34 AM
On 2002-09-26 20:34, KarenS wrote:
ROFL! Of course I'm single--for some odd reason, it's nearly impossible for a woman who loves science and engineering and sports to find a decent guy!


You're in the right place then Karen /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

(Well, except maybe for the sports part, bleakh)

Peter B
2002-Sep-27, 04:47 AM
On 2002-09-26 20:34, KarenS wrote:
ROFL! Of course I'm single--for some odd reason, it's nearly impossible for a woman who loves science and engineering and sports to find a decent guy! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Nothing else to do in Michigan but science, engineering and sport? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

What sort of sports? That silly game of wrestling on ice - I mean, ice hockey?


I agree about the liftoff sequence--I still have a hard time believing that wasn't actual footage. And I'm still bummed the film didn't win the Oscar. Mel Gibson is highly overrated.


Watch the comments about Our Mel!

(singing patriotically) Australians all, let us rejoice/For we are young and free...

nebularain
2002-Sep-27, 05:05 AM
On 2002-09-27 00:47, Peter B wrote:
What sort of sports? That silly game of wrestling on ice - I mean, ice hockey?

Broom ball is better! (I spent some time in Michigan in January and was taught this sport there.) Think ice hockey with no skates, a broom instead of a hockey stick and a big foam ball instead of a puck. A lot of fun, despite the bruises!

kucharek
2002-Sep-27, 07:09 AM
On 2002-09-26 18:02, ToSeek wrote:

...I've seen the movie nine times so far, not counting just watching the liftoff part on video - I've lost count of doing that...

That's the part of the movie my son learned at age 3 how to handle the VCR... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I think it's safe to say that "Apollo 13" started interest into the real Apollo stuff for a lot of people. But basically, the "problem" with real spaceflight is, that nothing really happens for most time. We geeks love to drool over checklists and it's fun when you finally can make something out of stuff like
<blockquote>
001:34:58 Fullerton: Okay, just what do you need?

001:35:00 Irwin: We have Noun 47 through roll, pitch and yaw.

001:35:04 Fullerton: Okay, Jim. Noun 47 is 66938; minus 0.52, plus 1.90; Noun 33, 004:19:56.99; Noun 81, minus 0425.4, plus 0000.1, minus 4921.7 - correction on Delta-Vz is a plus 4921.7; roll, pitch, and yaw are 180, 166, 002. Go ahead.

001:36:10 Irwin: Okay; readback: TLI plus 90, SPS/G&N; 66938; minus 0.52, plus 1.90; 004:19:56.99; minus 0425.4, plus 0000.1, plus 4921.7; 180, 166, 002; N/A, plus 0021.0; 4940.1, 6:34, 4920.8; 40, 079.5, 35.9; N/A, plus 16.04, minus 030.00; 1099.0, 34492; 017:43:58, Deneb and Vega; 112, 128, 356, and no ullage.

001:37:13 Fullerton: Okay, Jim, your readback's correct. Liftoff plus 8 PAD is 008:00, 6076, minus 175, 027:06. Go ahead.

001:37:38 Irwin: Roger. 008:00, 6076, minus 175, and 027:06.
</blockquote>
but for the avwerage audience...

Harald

SeanF
2002-Sep-27, 01:36 PM
On 2002-09-27 00:47, Peter B wrote:

Watch the comments about Our Mel [Gibson]!

(singing patriotically) Australians all, let us rejoice/For we are young and free...


Your Mel? Mel's so American, he's constitutionally eligible to serve as President!

"Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light . . ."

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

ToSeek
2002-Sep-27, 04:26 PM
On 2002-09-27 03:09, kucharek wrote:
[quote]
We geeks love to drool over checklists and it's fun when you finally can make something out of stuff like
<blockquote>
001:34:58 Fullerton: Okay, just what do you need?

001:35:00 Irwin: We have Noun 47 through roll, pitch and yaw.

001:35:04 Fullerton: Okay, Jim. Noun 47 is 66938; minus 0.52, plus 1.90; Noun 33, 004:19:56.99; Noun 81, minus 0425.4, plus 0000.1, minus 4921.7 - correction on Delta-Vz is a plus 4921.7; roll, pitch, and yaw are 180, 166, 002. Go ahead.

... [truncated]


One of the things I like about the movie is that they throw some of the jargon around in the background, not enough to distract the casual viewer but enough to make us geeks very happy.

KarenS
2002-Sep-27, 04:29 PM
Nothing else to do in Michigan but science, engineering and sport? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

What else is there? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif


What sort of sports? That silly game of wrestling on ice - I mean, ice hockey?

Yep! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif And our ice hockey season is just gettin' underway.

KarenS
2002-Sep-27, 04:30 PM
Your Mel? Mel's so American, he's constitutionally eligible to serve as President!

Yep--he was born in New York. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

KarenS
2002-Sep-27, 04:31 PM
You're in the right place then Karen /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Ah, the Bad Astronomy Single's Network! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif