PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Design a Space Settlement for NASA

Fraser
2004-Jan-13, 02:35 AM
SUMMARY: Is there a budding space colony designer in your household? Maybe it's time to put them to work. NASA Ames is having its annual Space Settlement Contest, which is open to anyone 11-18 years old around the world. Everyone who participates gets a certificate, and the winner's design will be showcased on the NASA Ames website. Submissions must be received by March 31, 2004, so you've got a little time. Click here to see all the information. Very cool stuff, if only Chloe was a few years older...

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

damienpaul
2004-Jan-13, 03:24 AM
Can anyone from around the world enter this competition? I can get a few students involved in this from the school's Science Club

kashi
2004-Jan-13, 03:33 AM
I remember doing something simular to this when I was in year 8. So much fun! If only I was a year younger!

damienpaul
2004-Jan-13, 03:37 AM
tell us more of what you did back then Kashi, did you initiate it or did the school? I suppose what I am asking for is some guidelines to setting it up in a school and your review of it as a past participant.

Chook
2004-Jan-13, 07:41 PM
I'm 20 so I'm too old.

But here's my suggestion ...
A kitchen/workshop/Lab; a bedroom/bathroom/dunny;an engine-room (air-conditioning, water recycling, generator etc.);and an exercise-space/air-lock annex. Don't care about the physical configuration - try it out here first. :rolleyes:

Littlemews
2004-Jan-13, 07:47 PM
But here's my suggestion ...
A kitchen/workshop/Lab; a bedroom/bathroom/dunny;an engine-room (air-conditioning, water recycling, generator etc.);and an exercise-space/air-lock annex. Don't care about the physical configuration.
Nice suggestion LOL

kashi
2004-Jan-13, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Jan 13 2004, 02:37 PM
tell us more of what you did back then Kashi, did you initiate it or did the school? I suppose what I am asking for is some guidelines to setting it up in a school and your review of it as a past participant.
It's been 6 years man! That's roughly 1/3 of my lifetime ago.

I think we ended up going to an ice moon of 47 Ursae Majoris b (just to be creative as everyone else was going to mars). The emphasis of our project was not so much on the space settlement but rather getting there, who to take etc.