PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Five New Martian Meteorites ...

Fraser
2004-Jan-17, 06:33 PM
SUMMARY: Scientists believe they've found an additional five meteorites that originated from the planet Mars. The new rocks were discovered during recent expeditions to Antarctica and the deserts of the Middle East and Africa the best places for discovering the precious objects from space. This brings the total number of known Martian rocks to 24, and will provide researchers with additional specimens to analyze for evidence of past (or current) life on Mars.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Tiny
2004-Jan-17, 08:24 PM
In the future I cant image what will happen if human living in Mars...Meteor rains every half year

Guest_Faulkner
2004-Jan-17, 08:58 PM
I can JUST imagine rocks being blown out of the Martian gravity and hurled to Earth - and even survive re-entry.

But how the hell do scientists figure out that these rocks are indeed from Mars? I wouldn't have thought they'd have much to compare with...?

Chook
2004-Jan-17, 10:09 PM
What (very strong) forces would blow rocks off the surface of Mars (ultimately landing on planet Earth)?

I ask the same question as Faulkner - "... how ... do scientists figure out that these rocks are indeed from Mars?"

Guest_Faulkner
2004-Jan-17, 11:24 PM
An asteroid hit would do it. It is said a 100km meteor struck Mars in the distant past, resulting in the mammoth 8km-deep Hellas crater we see today. Curiously, on the exact other side of Mars (the antipode?), there is the stupendous Mount Olympus, 22km high, 500 odd km wide, which is believed to be caused by a compression wave travelling from the Hellas impact site directly through the Martian molten core!

I wonder if there are Earthly meteorites sitting on the Martian desert floor??

Chook
2004-Jan-18, 12:35 AM
Quote Guest_Faulkner:
"An asteroid hit would do it. "

Thanks.

As I recall though - a previous posting, in another topic, suggested that "lightning strikes" could have caused these marsian scars because, as he suggested, "the universe consists of 99.99% plasma" - and electricity is very active during the "meeting of the worlds".

I hope I have the gist of what he said right.