PDA

View Full Version : Life in the universe

Bluewolf027
2004-Jan-20, 09:38 PM
Given that there really is not alot of evidence either way as to wether life exists on other planets I would like to here others opinions. Is there life out there? Is there intelligent life out there?

My thought would be that given the diverse climates and environments here on earth in which micro organisms can live that it is very likely that we will find living organisms of this sort on other planets. Since they have found micro - organisms that life even in the volcanic gas vents in the oceans the temerature of which is something like 1050 degrees celcius it would stand to reason that micro organisms will be found in many places in the universe, in my mind anyway. The bigger question would be then wether or not there is other intelligent life in the universe. I read some where once that the likelihood of an organism as complex as we are deveopling naturally is very slim. But on the other hand out of the micro-organisms here on earth developed - humans - dogs - birds- sea life - plants- insects, etc you get the picture. What are your thoughts? Do you think there is other life out there and if so do you think we will ever find it?

Tiny
2004-Jan-20, 09:56 PM
Life maybe exist in the other solar system...but the planet's luminosity is too low therefore we cant detect any planet in the other solar system...

Sp1ke
2004-Jan-21, 09:49 AM
I think it all depends how long intelligent life typically survives. At the moment, we've only been around for an instant, compared with how long non-intelligent life has inhabited the earth. If intelligent life only appears briefly then dies out (or self-destructs), there is only a slim chance of us detecting it elsewhere.

Alternatively, if intelligent life is generally persistent and vast civilizations are developing throughout the universe, how come we don't see all their radio and other electromagnetic transmissions whichever direction we look? Are the only civilizations that survive going to be the ones that never invented long-range communications?

damienpaul
2004-Jan-21, 06:42 PM
The have found a galaxy that has significant organic compounds, though this is not proof of life, just an interesting point to consider...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/...31219070424.htm (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031219070424.htm)

GOURDHEAD
2004-Jan-21, 06:48 PM
Some thoughts that bear considering:

If the big bang paradigm proves accurate, it took quite a while for enough life supporting elements to be manufactured and dispersed then collected in a stellar system. Maybe as much as 10 billion years which brings us to the instantiation of the solar system and the other systems capable of supporting life.

It has taken the best part of 4 billion years to evolve sentients capable of the technolaogy that is needed for comprehending and beginning to explore the universe. We can not assess whether this is average.

The generation of life and its subsequent evolution is an algorithmic process..change and test. The universe in a very mindless way continually does this. Life is ubiquitous...a universal solvent and organizer.

Be patient. They will come here and we will go there.

Matthew
2004-Jan-23, 01:39 AM
The universe is quite big. Considering that the Milky Way galaxy is a fairly standard galaxy, chances are there are planets that have carbon, H2O, nitrogen. And if there are enough planets maybe one will be within the 'habitable' zone of the parent star. Maybe the odds oput us done to only one planet Earth. But I hope not.

QJones
2004-Jan-26, 03:26 AM
Considering I plan to live a long time, I've decided that I'm going to act like there are aliens. Not the weirdo-cult kinda thing, but patiently pushing people to advance our space abilities.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Jan-26, 01:38 PM
Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel Dennett presents a strong argument supporting the initiation and evolution of living organisms and their inexorable advancement to intelligence. This happens wherever the universe fails to take deliberate action to prevent it.

Sp1ke
2004-Jan-26, 02:56 PM
So where are they all? If life evolves easily, I would expect we'd stumble across something quite quickly. Either within our own solar system or, even more likely, from our or other galaxies (visible from their electromagnetic emissions). Given all the amazing natural things we've detected, like pulsars and galactic clusters, it seems unlikely to me that we've not spotted all the advanced civilisations that are out there.

Weaselbunny
2004-Jan-26, 04:21 PM
I've always thought that it's plain arrogance to assume that we are the only sentient life kicking about the universe. In such a huge universe with so many different galaxies and possibilities it must have happened somewhere.

I'm no big brain but i seem to remember scientists saying a while ago that life can only exist where there is carbon, because all life is carbon based, but isn't there something in the depths of the ocean that they've found which isn't carbon based?

This being the case, doesn't it then open up more possibilities for life elsewhere.

Maybe i'm just deluding myself, but i like to keep the faith. ;)

This post was edited by moderators to remove all-caps

Bluewolf027
2004-Jan-26, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Sp1ke@Jan 26 2004, 02:56 PM
So where are they all? If life evolves easily, I would expect we'd stumble across something quite quickly. Either within our own solar system or, even more likely, from our or other galaxies (visible from their electromagnetic emissions). Given all the amazing natural things we've detected, like pulsars and galactic clusters, it seems unlikely to me that we've not spotted all the advanced civilisations that are out there.
When looking at the universe you have to remember that the distance between objects is immense. The milky way alone in about 100000 light years across so when we are looking at stars at the outermost edges of the milky way we are actually seeing them as they appeared ten of thousands of years ago. The closest galaxies to the milky way are millions of light years away from us - other galaxies are billions of light years away. If it takes light that long to reach us it will take radio waves even longer.

Also if there was another advanced civilization whos to say that they communicate in the same ways we do - maybe they have never used radio waves as a way to communicate. Or that they have ever created any electomagnetic emissions, as you put it. There technology could be completely different from anything we have ever seen or thought of.

tony873004
2004-Jan-27, 02:26 AM
http://orbitsimulator.com/orbiter/caspermars3.jpg

Tiny
2004-Jan-27, 03:00 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
A dog.... maybe there is a(n) life on Mars, but they are invisibe to see... (put a sunglass on, I mean the dog :lol: )

damienpaul
2004-Jan-27, 07:45 AM
Very clever tony!!! :lol: but you know i would not be in least bit surprised if life were to be found in places that had been considered 'impossible'

Faulkner
2004-Jan-27, 01:22 PM
They've detected gigantic clouds of alcohol out in deep space...I wonder what happy forms of life live out there?

Weaselbunny
2004-Jan-27, 05:01 PM
Probably life-forms with highly developed livers!

In fact, they probably invented hangover cures before they discovered fire! :P

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 11:17 AM
It seems that one does not have to travel far to find life in the Universe!

I just found evidence of life on Mars! (Allthough not as clear as the evidence tony873004 provided perhaps ) :P

Here's evidence of pokemon's really originate from the planet Mars:Pikachu (http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~wiger/strange_little_creature.jpg)

Reference image:
http://www.linscott.santacruz.k12.ca.us/class/joshua/Pikachu.gif

But seriously:

It does not look like a rock to me. It has horns, and look pretty symmetric. Notice the shadow cast on the soil, it proves that the "horns" are not photographic illusions.

It even has spikes beneath wich resembles little legs! :rolleyes:

I have never seen rocks or crystalline minerals formed with curved spikes like this.

Does any of you guys and girls have a good explanation of how this thing was formed? I sent an email to NASA with the same question, but they seem to have a lot of email to answer these days, so I thought I'd ask you guys.

In my amateur opinion, I would say this thing had organic origin. Fossilized maybe. (Don't see any trails indicating recent movement) :P

The image is extracted from an high resolution image at nasa mars rover site:
Source (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040202a/MSPan_B1_2x-B009R1.jpg). (Take a look for yourselves...)

It would be cool if Nasa could make a better closeup of this thing. ;)
(If it isn't something that came off the lander of course)

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 11:35 AM
Could this be a rock formed from natural erosion processes that would occur either now or in the past on Mars?

I'm not good at rocks :huh: , has anyone any theories?

Also, was Mars once in the 'Solar Green Belt'?

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 11:41 AM
Natural erosion prosesses occur on Earth too... I've never seen anything remotely similar formed by natural erosion... :blink:

According to this document (http://esapub.esrin.esa.it/sp/sp1231/chap2.pdf) (page 118 (38)), Mars is within the "Solar Green Belt":

Since this study is targeted towards the search for signs of life in the Solar System with particular reference to Mars, this will deal only with the radiation climate of those planets within a green belt a habitable orbital zone between 0.7 AU and 2.0 AU where, as discussed above, liquid water is likely to have existed at least part of the time during the 4.6 Gyr history of our Solar System. Venus, Earth and Mars are situated in this habitable zone and their radiation climate and its implications for life are discussed
below.

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 12:01 PM
That's one huge article! Not time to read it all right now, think my boss would be a little put out! Read page 38 though.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's an AU? :huh:

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 12:06 PM
AU = Astronomic Unit, and is defined as the average distance between Earth and the Sun, if my memory serves me right.

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 12:12 PM
Ahhh... thank you.

So do you believe that there used to be life on Mars or are you reserving judgement?

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 12:15 PM
Well, I need real evidence before I start believing in former life on the red planet :P

But I'm pretty sure there exist life elsewhere in the universe :)
(Why on Mars, should the Earth be the only planet in this vast universe with life on it?) ;)

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 12:47 PM
Too blinking right. I always say that stating we're the only life in the universe is about as progressive as stating that the Earth is the centre of the universe! ;)

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 12:49 PM
I second that! :lol:

Faulkner
2004-Feb-03, 01:31 PM
Man, that's a mighty strange little object there in that picture!!! :blink: (Is that what a "weasel bunny" looks like?). Certainly looks like some kinda Martian rabbit...or something!?

I want to know what that thing is!!!!!

I'm betting it's some piece of the lander...can't be a natural-formed rock...surely...?

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 01:42 PM
Weasel Bunny would be a god name for it, I agree. :D

It has about the same color as the rocks above, but it surely doesn't look like one of them. :blink:

It most likely is a piece of the lander by reason of elimination;

- Rocks just don't have this shape naturally, I think? Crystalline structures does not curve?

- An organic origin (fossil), would imply former life on Mars (significantly larger than bacteria!) -Not very likely, is it?

- What else could it be? (My imagination is limited here)

However, it doesn't exactly look like a mechanical part either... B)

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 02:55 PM
Did you find it within the image, or is it something that the experts have found? If it was you Nietsyo then very astute! If not, are the guys that found it looking into it?

And as for it looking like a weaselbunny... my ears are longer!! (but weaselbunny is a pretty groovy name for most anything, especially me!) :blink:

nietsyo
2004-Feb-03, 03:05 PM
I found it while looking at the high resolution image from nasa's site. I'm sure the experts have noticed it too, but I sent them a mail just in case :P

Got a standardized answer from them:

Hello!* Thanks so much for emailing us.* We've had thousands and thousands of*
emails over the past few days!* Please know how much your support and* * * * *
enthusiasm mean to us.* We'll be putting together a collage of good wishes for*
the whole team to see.* As for questions, we'll try to answer them as soon as*
we can.* Frequently asked questions will appear on the website, so please keep*
checking back with us at* marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html.

Don't know if it is something to get excited about.
- I'm sure it has a good explanation :lol:

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 03:36 PM
Nice one... I bet you're a genius at Where's Wally!

Make sure you let us all know what they say. B)

Sp1ke
2004-Feb-03, 03:41 PM
If it was part of the lander, wouldn't it be surrounded by the tracks of the lander as it landed? Not sure about distances but it looks too far away to have just dropped off and I wouldn't think the lander would be ejecting things to any distance.

But it looks very unnatural. Curious! How far from the lander do you reckon it is?

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-03, 03:58 PM
If it was part of the lander, wouldn't it be surrounded by the tracks of the lander as it landed?

Yup, or if it broke away at some point on the way down or landed on the ground recently, wouldn't there be a disturbance of the 'soil' around it, or is the picture not detailed enough to show that.

Also, if you know how far away it is, could you also figure out how big it is? (not that size matters if any of you gents are getting nervous! ;) )

Zauber
2004-Feb-10, 07:21 AM
:D

hello

Age of Universe 15 Billion. Time it took for life to develop on earth 5Billion.
Communication limited to the speed of light.
I do not share the argument that there are billions and billions of stars and therefore life must have evolved somewhere else.
Facts that make this argument more plausible are planets around other stars, chemical compounds present in other starsystems which are building blocks for life.

Perhaps new evidence makes a yes answer a little more plausible.

However we do not have billions and billions of stars to draw from because our reach is absolutely limited by the speed of light.
Therefore we are limited to the universe of only perhaps 1000 light years.
Roundtrip for acquisition of knowledge 2000 years.
Our collective memory how far has it ever stretched in our existence? 200 years.
Therefore we will never be aware of other life in the universe therefore we are alone.
What a bummer. Do we value life sufficiently?

Tiny
2004-Feb-10, 07:50 AM
Therefore we will never be aware of other life in the universe therefore we are alone.

The universe is homogeneous (every region is the same as any other)... we can except there is life exist in the other side of our Milky Way... :lol:

Faulkner
2004-Feb-10, 12:42 PM
Extremely good point, Tiny. Scientists declare the Universe to be "homogenous". Isn't it likely, then, that life flourishes everywhere? Or is life some anomalous, uncharacteristic, singular phenomena here on this speck of dust we call Earth??

BUT...Zauber also has a very good point. The Universe is VAST. But the speed-of-light limits us to a range of only a few light years. So if there IS life, we'd never know/hear about it...(unless their lifespan is centuries/millenia??)...And the chances of life occurring within those few light years' radius from us is, perhaps, slim...perhaps...

It's just like asking the question: What happened before the Universe? or, What lies outside the Universe? Human physics (bound by the speed of light) cannot answer these fundamental questions. So it's perhaps stupid to ask, Is there life out there? Perhaps there is, but it might as well be in a black hole...where we can never reach...

Bluewolf027
2004-Feb-10, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Faulkner@Feb 10 2004, 05:42 AM
BUT...Zauber also has a very good point. The Universe is VAST. But the speed-of-light limits us to a range of only a few light years. So if there IS life, we'd never know/hear about it...(unless their lifespan is centuries/millenia??)...
I would have to disagree with you in a way Faulkner. The speed of light does not limit us as of yet because with our chemical rockets we will never even come close to nearing the speed of light. We can't be limited by something we can't reach. By the time that we do find the technology to reach near speeds of light - I would think that before we ever near the speed of light we will have learned enough about the frabric of space and time to bend it or warp it or tear it enough to allow us to jump from one place in space to another.

Faulkner
2004-Feb-10, 04:25 PM
That's what I was going to say, Blue Wolf, but you beat me to it! :P As soon as we can achieve photonic speeds, we'll be sure to be shaking hands with tentacles & all kinds of weirdo appendages!

But to achieve PHOTON SPEED, we need to convert ourselves to pure energy!?

Can it possibly be done?

Tiny
2004-Feb-10, 05:56 PM
We cant, because we still having mass acting on us, if u wanna to achieve PHOTON SPEED, unless ur mass become "0"...

Bluewolf027
2004-Feb-10, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Faulkner@Feb 10 2004, 09:25 AM
But to achieve PHOTON SPEED, we need to convert ourselves to pure energy!?

I have been told that I am pure energy :P So maybe just a few more pots of coffee and I will make light speed :lol:

Faulkner
2004-Feb-10, 08:52 PM
Sorry, out of topic here, but hey Tiny! What's the Chinese hieroglyphics?

Sp1ke
2004-Feb-11, 09:20 AM
I think it *could* be possible to convert us for zero mass, photon-speed. As long as we could have photons with some form of information content, we could encode ourselves in them and decode them at the other end. That opens up the debate about whether the decoded version is still "us" but I don't think it's *impossible* to conceive of some sort of light-speed travel.

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-11, 05:29 PM
We'd need this tiny mass according to Einstein... but aren't we starting to break away from that, new theories and loop holes in theories and stuff? Would we still need a near zero mass with the new theories starting to emerge, does anyone know?

QJones
2004-Feb-11, 11:03 PM
It certainly seems to me, though, that these problems of communication and speed are merely that, problems.

With enough time, resources, and intelligence ... I'm certain these issues can be resolved. I just wish more people supported such efforts. A little bit of support can go a long way. Political. Financial. Personal.

I don't have the mindset to contribute to physical engineering; but I certainly encourage those who do!

Skywise
2004-Feb-12, 01:24 AM
Intelligent life beyond the Earth...

I maintain, as I have for many years, that the single largest piece of evidence that we have to support intelligent life beyond our planet is the fact that we have no evidence of open contact with any as yet.

Point 1: There's the distance issue, making direct communication difficult at best.

Point 2: Any civilisation advanced enough to bridge the distance issue almost certainly would not contact us openly. I mean, think about it. How would the nations of our planet react to something like that?

If they're advanced enough to bridge the distance issue, it would stand to reason that they'd be intelligent enough to watch and study us and wait until we're at least to a point that we wouldn't do more harm than good with our reaction to them openly contacting us.

Of course, I have some other thoughts in regards to aliens and the like, but I'll save them for another time.

- Skywise

Galaxy dweller
2004-Feb-12, 04:15 AM
Tony873004 put an imaginary dog on real Mars. But look closer at the real picture of the now famous Martian rock outcrop. It looks like a fossilized skeleton of a "marsosaur". On the right, there is a well defined tail, then, moving to the left you will see the body bones. Well, it's a joke of course, but. . .

Tiny
2004-Feb-12, 04:24 AM
:lol: What is "marsosaur" by the way? some kinda alien? or u mean Mesosaur? :lol:

Galaxy dweller
2004-Feb-12, 04:25 AM
We live in a universe limited to the speed of light. This limitation nullifies our attempts to contact galactic beings. Only those creatures in the Universe who (which) broke the speed of light limitation can communicate efficiently with each other. They must be as far ahead of us as we are ahead of amoeba (as Captain Kirk once said). They may study us, but communicate with us is perhaps useless to them.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-15, 09:00 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly galaxy dweller, and being a trekkie I agree with captain kirk as well.

If these aliens did communicate using a means of faster than light communication - is it possible taht we would not be able to 'hear' them? I mean with our technology the way it is?

errorist
2004-Feb-16, 01:41 AM
Well it could be. Bones do contain some sulfur but mostly calcium phosphate. Perhaps, they are eating both the sulfer and the calcium phosphate. They could also be sigle celled protozoa. Check this link out: There are some huge microbes here on Earth.

http://www.microbe.org/microbes/biggest.asp

BlackTearsofapril
2004-Feb-16, 03:31 AM
If you have ever really examined a large photograph of a galaxy, or an empty part of the universe, you would realize that you couldn't possibly count the number of planets there are in that one galaxy. You couldn't even count the stars. And THEN you look in the background and see a whole bunch of nearby galaxys, with the same property of endless stars and planets, and then you look at the fuzzy background, and realize that the fuzzyness is only because they are all individual and countless galaxsies, that you cannot possibly come close to the number of planets out there. Its like the number for pi. It will NEVER end.
So if you think that there is an endless number for that, please do not tell me that they are all barren and wastelands. There have to be at least a thousand planets just like ours with a dominant species, that has a language, and can do all the same things we can.

Then you take into account that UFO's are not a recent "discovery" in many (okay, a few) old paintings, usually christian and catholic, there are silver DISKS and spheres in the background.
I know its a crazy farfetched theory, but could angels really be "aliens" They glowed, and could fly, but they didn't have wings. Well, who ever said your atoms would stay in one place when you defy gravity? They all had spacecrafts in their pictures... so, could we be an experement? They look like us... they think something like us... i think.... and they seem to be monitoring us. They make appearances, and I think we are just some little "controlled experement" with them controlling it.
Okay, now I'm going to be known as the freak right?

As for getting here fast... do you think there is a way into other dimensions? If so... it would be possible to stop or manipulate time. They are unstable. Or at least in theory. Or it would be possible to manipulate you into going "warp speed".

errorist
2004-Feb-16, 04:50 AM
Endless number of stars leaves endles possiblites for life.

Ezekiel 28
13 thou wast in Eden, the garden of God. Every precious stone was thy covering: the sardius, the topaz, and the diamond, the chrysolite, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the carbuncle, and the emerald, and gold. The workmanship of thy tambours and of thy pipes was in thee: in the day that thou wast created were they prepared.

Revelation 21
18 And the building of its wall [was] jasper; and the city pure gold, like pure glass:
19 the foundations of the wall of the city [were] adorned with every precious stone: the first foundation, jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, chalcedony; the fourth, emerald;
20 the fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, topaz; the tenth, chrysoprasus; the eleventh, jacinth; the twelfth, amethyst.

Astronomers spy 10 billion trillion trillion-carat diamond

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - If anyone's ever promised you the sun, the moon and the stars, tell 'em you'll settle for BPM 37093.
The heart of that burned-out star with the no-nonsense name is a sparkling diamond that weighs a staggering 10 billion trillion trillion carats. That's one followed by 34 zeros.

The hunk of celestial bling is an estimated 2,500 miles across, said Travis Metcalfe, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

"You would need a jeweler's loupe the size of the sun to grade this diamond," said Metcalfe, who led the team that discovered the gem.

The diamond is a massive chunk of crystallized carbon that lies about 300 trillion miles from Earth, in the constellation Centaurus.

The galaxy's largest diamond is formally known as a white dwarf, or the hot core of a dead sun.

Astronomers have suspected for decades that white dwarfs crystallized, but only recently were able to verify the hypothesis.

A paper detailing the discovery has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal Letters for publication.

I bet this is one of Gods small stones in heaven. Huge to us but tiny to him.

Faulkner
2004-Feb-16, 01:51 PM
Hmm, I find the Old Testament a fascinating sci-fi read! "God went up"..."God came down"... Obviously an extraterrestrial of some kind... However way you interpret it yourself, you have to admit, reading it "literally", this is what you get!

But even these fun (and sordid) Old Testament stories were re-writings of even older mythological texts like the Gilgamesh Epic and the Atrahasis Epic and the Enuma Elish and Ishtar's Descent Into Hell etc (all FANTASTIC reads!)...and in all of them, the "gods" come out of the sky!

Might just be ancient fictions, but hell, what an imagination!

errorist
2004-Feb-16, 05:03 PM
Funny how all those ancient strories all talk about a God or Gods. Looks like God is real.

Chook
2004-Feb-16, 07:38 PM
Errorist:
There are even stories, in the Old Testerment, that seem to describe a spaceship in detail ...
but, sorry mate - we aren't allowed to talk religion here .. people get uptight.
See the Rules.

Cheers

errorist
2004-Feb-16, 09:34 PM
WOW, it reminds me of school. Ok I will abide by the rules.

Weaselbunny
2004-Feb-18, 02:47 PM
What do you guys think of strange space-craft like and alien-like cave paintings?

kodakball
2004-Mar-07, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by errorist@Feb 16 2004, 12:03 PM
Funny how all those ancient strories all talk about a God or Gods. Looks like God is real.

Then assume GOD is real, and created all religious books. In one of those books, it talks about the existence of an alien life other then ours, and on that assumption they do exist.

Problem solved. :)

Faulkner
2004-Mar-08, 11:43 AM

Sheesh, doesn't take too much to convert you, Errorist! :P Don't be so gullible, God doesn't exist! HA HA! But the stories are still great...(if you're a sci-fi geek like me!)...

damienpaul
2004-Mar-08, 12:49 PM
I am a bigger geek than you Faulkner - in height and geekiness :P

It is conceivable that all the legends, tales and myths are related to alien visitiation or the effects of a rather strong peace pipe! so to speak.

There are too many questions, and unless anyone was actually there...:P then what we can do is guess.

nietsyo
2004-Mar-09, 09:56 AM
It took a while, but NASA finally got around to look at the little marsbunny wich I reported earlier in this thread:
Article (http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/spotlight/opportunity/b19_20040304.html) :P

Weaselbunny
2004-Mar-11, 10:00 AM
Dagnammit! :angry:

I was hoping it was the The Lesser Spotted Martian Weaselbunny... guess that search will just have to continue! ;) :P

imported_Ziggy
2004-Apr-17, 06:06 PM
Of course life is out there. And some of it is intelligent. Though estimates are different in the exact number of civilizations or planets with life, theres not a doubt in my mind that life is out there. And if humanity survives long enough, we'll make direct contact with a few spices. I personly believe that FTL travel will be possible one day (like flying machines that were considered to be impossible 500 years ago). And when we do make contact, will have to ask or selves some pretty hard questions.

Sp1ke
2004-Apr-19, 03:31 PM
I'm with you, Ziggy, I think there must be life out there. The problem is that space is so big, I suspect we might only find remnants of past civilizations or the seeds of new ones.

But even if we just find one of these alternatives, we'll have some big questions to ask. Wouldn't it be awesome if we found the alien equivalent of our lunar module on, say, one of Jupiter's moons? Or if we found some form of life on Mars that definitely didn't get there from Earth? Or detecting some sort of transmission from another star system? :D

I think it would be great to know there were other species out there (although I know not everyone likes the idea)

etvisitor7
2004-Apr-20, 03:50 AM
:rolleyes: Our astronomers and astronauts spend so much time and energy searching in outer space for evidence of extraterrestrial life that they ignore the mountain of evidence right here in our own back yard! Right under our noses are almost daily sightings of unidentified flying objects that behave in seemingly impossible ways (impossible for aircraft built on Earth), in ways that appear to defy our current knowledge of physics. Some of them have been observed to be flying at speeds up to 20,000miles per hour which cannot be attained by the fastest modern jet fighter. They can speed through the air and then instantly stop in mid-air in order to hover motionless for as long as they like, and then fly off again at fantastic speeds! At night, they usually glow with intense light to rival the brightest star. Such advanced technology cannot be of this Earth!
Back in 1991, a huge UFO flap started in Mexico, lasting a few years. Thousands of excellent Camcorder films of the flying objects were taken by reputable citizens, the largest number of such films taken in history. The remarkable thing is that the Mexican media, government and public in general took an open-minded attitude to this almost daily phenomena, resulting in the acquisition of a record number of home movie UFO footage. Surely this constitutes very impressive evidence of highly evolved life in the universe!

setiman
2004-May-15, 11:17 AM
B) Recent research by NASA into extremophiles makes it pretty certain that we will find life on other planets not just in our solar system, but in most that we encounter.

:) To read more about this really great research, right here on Earth visit the following link:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/13...y_ecosystem.htm (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/13may_ecosystem.htm)

I think we may find more of this kind of life on passing comets than we will on Mars. Why? I think Mars is a has been. What it had has been drained away by lots of somethings. We need to know what those somethings are.

In any case , we could survey Mars sites with an extremmophile hunting robot rather than sending astronauts. We need to spend our astronauts wisely.

:D Cheers

wstevenbrown
2004-May-28, 03:18 PM
I reiterate (from an earlier Forum), carbon is not the only life-basis candidate. Pure energy has been around far longer than condensed matter, and it [B]does self-organize. Life eats, excretes, replicates and responds to stimuli. Observe ball lightning and sprites as local examples. I expect that the [I]pace of such life would make observation of us a science similar to geology, and interaction with us either a project spanning generations, or too boring to be worth bothering with. Sluggards, we!

setiman
2004-May-28, 09:01 PM
;) Hey Weaselbunny, awhile back you mentioned sentient life. I maintain that is relative. I have done a lot of SCUBA diving in the Caribbean and I have encountered two areas of clearly obvious communications of a higher level (this is exluding the whales and dolphins). The octopus is one and the squid is the other.

:) I have spent a good bit of time just watching and interacting with squid. They in turn watch me very carefully and communicate among themselves on my actions and movements. They make direct, close up, eye contact (I mean 3 - 5 inches away) and look me right in the eyes. I think they are disgusted that I don't understand what they are trying to communicate to me.

:blink: Other fish and sea creatures generally act indifferently or defensively and if they have eyes it is usually an Orphan Annie stare. Not so with squid.

B) The octopus talks with its arms and body movements. I have watched an octupus repeatedly demonstrate for me its hunting techniques. It would pause and sort of look at me ( not like the squid), but then continue with its demonstration. There was no fear or hostility and I was a welcome guest. Terrific experinece.

Our first encournters with ETs could be similar.

:D Cheers

StarLab
2004-May-29, 12:31 AM
You mean...they would demonstrate their hunting capability?
Unlikely. Unless they wanted to wipe us out.

Callisto
2004-May-29, 02:18 AM
I think that there is some kind of life out there maybe not inteligent life but still some kind of life, probably microscopic, which makes it harder for us to discover it.

galaxygirl
2004-May-29, 02:39 AM
I believe that there's both microscopic and intelligent life in space. Space is just so big for humans to be the only form of intelligent life- there must be more. Microscopic life is probably more common since it dosent take long for it to form or evolve. I would like to see how different extratrestrial life forms are from humans and animals living on Earth. It would also be interesting to see how they evolved from other life on their planet.

setiman
2004-May-29, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by StarLab@May 29 2004, 12:31 AM
You mean...they would demonstrate their hunting capability?
Unlikely. Unless they wanted to wipe us out.

Point well taken StarLab. For the octopus in my example it was its hunting technique it used to communicate; however, that need not be the case for an ET encounter.

Actually I would hope the ETs would behave better than we do, in that we most often destroy suspicious life forms encountered here and even many that we are familiar with, including ourselves.

I am hoping that when and if contact ever occurs we have learned how to behave :)

:o Hey here's an off topic comment:

On this Memorial Day weekend in addition to honoring all our great heroes, save a silent minute for all those astronauts who have given their lives to help us better understand outer space.

Cheers

StarLab
2004-May-29, 04:02 PM
On this Memorial Day weekend in addition to honoring all our great heroes, save a silent minute for all those astronauts who have given their lives to help us better understand outer space.
How can we spread this idea? Interesting...

You need 1024*768 resolution, "32 bit colors" setting to see the tail and hair on it.
Uh-huh...did you peform that function? If so, please post that photo here, and if not, perform that function, take the photo and post it here anyways...

By the way, what are your credentials?

setiman
2004-May-29, 05:36 PM
Re: spreading the word. I also put in a new topic on Human Space Flight with a broadened area of coverage.

I assume on the credentials question you are talking to the rat tail messenger?

StarLab
2004-May-29, 07:32 PM
Duh! :rolleyes:

Bosco D. Gamma
2004-Jul-10, 05:23 AM
Is there life in the "universe" ???

Who cares? See that question irks me and an irked me is not a pretty sight.

It always seems to me that when a person ask that question they have no clue about the size of the universe, not a little bit. The universe is so vast that if life isn't in this particular galaxy chances are we will NEVER know if it is anywhere else. So like who cares? It's the wrong question.

The right question is, is there "life" in this galaxy? Almost certainly there is BUT if it is bacteria or fairly mindless beasts it won't matter until WE get there.

As far as "intelligent" life goes I kinda think we are alone.