PDA

View Full Version : frozen water found on mars

tycho1981
2004-Jan-23, 11:30 AM
http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Ex...8ZB474OD_0.html (http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEM8ZB474OD_0.html)

:D

[IMG=http://www.esa.int/export/images/treacque400a,0.jpg]

tycho1981
2004-Jan-23, 02:44 PM
no reactions yet? this is damn imporant direct evidence of exits of water on mars.
this is even the first direct evidence too. :blink: all before were indirect.

damienpaul
2004-Jan-23, 03:11 PM
ok, ok, i'll react!

I agree it is a very significant discovery! proof of water on Mars even as ice, is indeed significant.

A couple of questions/statements:

-will they be able to use the same technology to determine the extent of the permafrost/underground glacial regime on the planet.

-this seems to fly in the face of the electric universe theory

-ceratinly accounts for the presence of haematite on the planet.

DippyHippy
2004-Jan-23, 11:29 PM
To be honest, Mars has never really held much of a fascination for me but I'm surprised this news hasn't been released into the mainstream media yet. Anyway, agreed, it's certainly a significant discovery. Do you think they'll find any elsewhere?

What also puzzles me is that although the finding of water is their main headline, they barely make mention of it in the article. All they say is that they've found some at the south pole.

Faulkner
2004-Jan-24, 12:42 AM
Haven't they known about frozen water at the poles for a long time now...?!

I think what they're trying to discover is permafrost under the surface in the more equatorial regions...?

jce1975
2004-Jan-24, 12:43 AM
Why is it that the US is saying they have the same information the Germans do regarding the water discovery and the US is saying there is no proof water exists? How weird?

VanderL
2004-Jan-24, 12:52 AM
Damienpaul, I'm sorry to say it doesn't fly in the face of the electric universe. All the water that will be found are leftovers. There will be no trace of lakes and oceans in the lower portion of Mars, but there is a small amount water in the higher portions of Mars. The reason no water will be found in the "lakes" and "oceans" is that they were formed by electric discharges, ripping the topsoil away and scarring the landscape with deep canyons with notably very short "side "-canyons that have never seen any water (some seepage at most). The rocks are electrically machined, showing signs of melting and pitting. The rocks will be newly formed and haven't weathered yet, and they will not be volcanic.
The parts where water exists will be few and mostly condensed water vapour (as seen at the poles).
Please take a look at the new images from Mars Express and see how the canyons start and stop seemingly random. Sinuous canyons will lead towards a crater and end there. No tributaries are to be found (water needs to collect in the high places to stream down and carve canyons). There will even be canyons that will cut through (not going around, but right through) hills or low mountains. We will see clusters of craters forming lines and there is a tendency for craters to have smaller craters on their rims.
Mars is not yet at equilibrium, there will be a lot of weathering showing up in future images.
One prediction: there will be anomalous radioactivity at the craters.