PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Rosetta Will Launch in a Month

Fraser
2004-Jan-26, 11:01 PM
SUMMARY: In one month from now, the European Space Agency's Rosetta spacecraft will finally head into space on board an Ariane 5 rocket to journey to and land on Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. The spacecraft will take 10 years to reach the comet, after a billiard ball journey through the solar system, passing Mars and Earth three times before finally reaching its target in 2014. It will orbit the comet for six months and then select a landing site. Once on the "ground", Rosetta will take photographs, and drill into the crust to take samples of the ice and gasses that make up the comet.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

tycho1981
2004-Jan-27, 08:24 AM
succes to Ariane5 rocket ;) it must proof alot yet.

10 years? I hope UniverseToday still exist :lol:

Weaselbunny
2004-Jan-27, 01:15 PM
Too right.

I find that I get all excited by the launch of these things, then by the time they get where they're going, I've generally forgotten about them and need reminding!

It would be nice to have a European space sucess though.

Ten years and counting!

damienpaul
2004-Jan-27, 01:23 PM
I get all excited about the launches as well, however, i am positively at the end of my seat when they near their destination -e.g. with Cassini!

The Meal
2004-Jan-27, 05:02 PM
Has anyone found an image or video of the flight-path? Sounds like the course is going to look like a (lame, but I'm being redundant here) Family Circus cartoon...

~The Meal

Quintus Maximus
2004-Jan-27, 06:04 PM
This launch better go fine, otherwise my brother doesnt have a project to work on B)

Spacemad
2004-Jan-27, 08:50 PM
I was reading about Rosetta's final plans the other day & I was really impressed by the way the journey has been planned! I really hope Ariane 5 gets under way & I wish them all the luck in the world!

I just hope they are not bugged by more bad luck - they´ve had more than their fair share! -& that the mission gets under way this time after so many setbacks!