PDA

View Full Version : What atoms tha produce red green and blue lights.

Tiny
2004-Jan-27, 08:05 PM
While reading the solar wind topic, I come up with this question about the aura(Color)? What kinda atoms that produce red, green and blue lights on the upper atmosphere?

Faulkner
2004-Jan-30, 01:47 AM
I don't think it's energized atoms unleashing colourful photons as it is sunlight getting dispersed into its spectrum across our upper atmosphere...!?

Any takers?

Tiny
2004-Jan-30, 02:25 AM
2/10 thats my score how sad ><

The answer for this question is : Solar Wind carry particles (electron and proton) across Earth&#39;s atmosphere. Charged particles carried along for the ride are accelerated to very high energies in the 5 - 6000 volt range, and when these slam into the upper atmosphere the electrons excite the oxygen and nitrogen atoms to produce red green and blue lights.

jkmccrann
2005-Dec-22, 09:07 AM
It would be interesting to observe what the Polar lights would look like if we had the atmosphere of Titan for example, assuming we could live on such a place and also see them which I guess would be impossible from the surface given the thickness of the atmosphere. A very spectacular phenomenon though.

PhantomWolf
2005-Dec-22, 01:24 PM
from Here (http://www.exploratorium.edu/learning_studio/auroras/difcolors.html)

Very high in the ionosphere (above 300 km or 180 miles), oxygen is the most common atom, and collisions there can create a rare red aurora. The strong yellow-to-green light that is most common is produced by collisions with oxygen at lower altitudes, between 100 and 300 km. Around 100 km, nitrogen molecules produce a red light that often seems to form the lower fringes on aural curtains. If our atmosphere were neon instead of oxygen and nitrogen, what color would auroral lights be? You guessed it, orange!