PDA

View Full Version : Disappearing primary particles ...

Chook
2004-Jan-30, 07:45 PM
I have read that a primary particle can spontaneously appears and disappear - then can reappear at some vastly distant position in space.

Could somebody please explain, or conjecture, where this particle disappears TO/FROM.

(Through a "membrane to another dimension?)

Faulkner
2004-Feb-01, 01:44 AM
I think you're referring to virtual particles that pop in & out of existence in sheer vacuum, as the result of quantum fluctuations... As the Casimir effect has hinted, this infinite "sea of energy" may be harnessed & utilized...?? We can hope!

As for particles disappearing & popping up elsewhere (the other side of the universe perhaps?)... This sounds like the principle of quantum entanglement that right now is being explored as the basis for teleportation of photons/atoms/molecules/...HUMANS????

lazserus
2004-Feb-05, 04:26 AM
The description definitely sounds like virtual particles. As far as particles disappearing and appearing on the other side of the universe, that's just speculation. There are no solid theories that really support that thought. I've heard of it before, but it's definitely not something widely supported. It's something that looks decent on paper.