PDA

View Full Version : question about the North Pole and South Pole

Tiny
2004-Jan-31, 02:16 AM
Ah this is so confuse me @@ How does the sun appear to move around the sky in 24 hours as seen from Earth's North pole on June 21st? and South pole on December 21st?

I know North pole is reverse for the south pole... both poles gets half year (6 months) of sunlight and darkness >< but its so confuse about the sun move around. Help ><&#33;

Bluewolf027
2004-Jan-31, 02:36 AM
The sun dosent move around Tiny - the earth tilts on its axis as it travels around the sun. This is why we have seasons. Read this :

http://www.weathersavvy.com/Seasons2.html

Tiny
2004-Jan-31, 02:50 AM
No I know the sun doesn&#39;t move, but the Earth does >< My question is when u in North pole on June 21st, how does the Sun rises and sets? and on South Pole, how does the sun rises and sets? I mean which direction? East to West or North East to North west or South East to South West?

Bluewolf027
2004-Jan-31, 03:54 AM
Well if you were at the north pole during the summer the sun does not rise or set they get 24 hours of daylight throught the summer and in the winter they get 24 hours of darkness. My aunt lives far enough north that she gets to experience this for a couple of weeks out of the year.

If you want to demonstrate how this would work. Take paint a dot on it to represent the north pole and a dot to reperesent the south pole then take a flashlight and shine it on the ball so that one half is lit up. Then tilt the ball 23 degrees backwards and if you spin it the north dot never reaches the sunlight, tilt it 23 degrees forward and the north dot is in constant sunlight. Remember that the earth always spins on the imaginary axis that runs through the two dots.

Bluewolf027
2004-Jan-31, 03:56 AM
To correct my last post

Take a ball and paint a dot ......

Tiny
2004-Jan-31, 03:59 AM
:P let me try...I need a ball first.... I found out that the sun actuallly move toward South-west, a little bit...

TheThorn
2004-Feb-01, 01:40 AM
The Earth&#39;s axis is tilted about 23 degrees to the ecliptic. On June 21st (give or take a day) the North pole is pointed at the sun. So on that date, the sun is 23 degrees above the horizon at the North Pole. It appears to circle the sky at that height, never setting, going once around every 24 hours.

As weeks go by, it sinks lower and lower, until on Serptember 21st, it circles the sky right on the horizon. After that, it is below the horizon for 6 months. Then on March 21st it once again seems to circle the sky right at the horizon. Between then and June 21st it rises higher and higer from the horizon until it hits it&#39;s max at 23 degrees.

South pole is the same, except the dates are reversed - max height on Dec. 21st, darkness from March 21st to Sept. 21st.

On June 21st, if you were to move away from the North pole, this perfectly circular apparent motion of the sun gets "tipped". It appears to rise higher in the sky to the south, and lower in the North. Once you move south to the Arctic circle (still talking about June 21st here), the sun still stays above the horizon all day, but it is tipped so much that it just skims the horizon in the North at midnight. Further south than that you get the sun setting for part of the day (usually referred to as "night" ;) ). The farther south you go, the longer the night period gets, until you get to the Antarctic circle, where night is 24 hours long on that day.

All of that probably just made things more confusing.