PDA

View Full Version : where is the Sun's shadow?

Tiny
2004-Feb-02, 11:27 PM
We see our own shadow when we see the Sun, but where is the sun's shadow? :)

Josh
2004-Feb-02, 11:43 PM
if you get a light globe and turn it on do you see a shadow? No. The only reason we see shadows is because something is blocking the light's path to where the shadow is .. put yourself between the sun a wall and you'll see your shadow on the wall. The sun isthe source of light ... so why would it have a shadow?

Tiny
2004-Feb-02, 11:50 PM
The Earth itself has a shadow, so does the moon cuz the Sun, so i just guess the Sun has a shadow as well...

A Star (bigger than the Sun), the Sun and Earth

If they line up, can we see the Sun's shadow? (Pretend that wasn't any eclipse)

GOURDHEAD
2004-Feb-03, 01:29 AM
If a supernova occurred beyond the sun such that it, the sun and the earth were aligned, the earth would be protected from the supernova's radiation, as long as the alignment held, because the earth would be in the sun's shadow with respect to the supernova. We would not be aware of a shadow in the usual sense; rather an annoying blocking of our view of the supernova and a loss of data needed to analyse its characteristics.

DippyHippy
2004-Feb-03, 05:04 AM
Tiny, to have a shadow, you need to have a light shining on an object. The Sun *is* that light and you're the object. The Sun can't shine on itself, so no shadow.

Duane
2004-Feb-04, 01:42 AM
We would not be aware of a shadow in the usual sense; rather an annoying blocking of our view of the supernova and a loss of data needed to analyse its characteristics.

Har! :lol:

Matthew
2004-Feb-04, 06:29 AM
How can you see a shadow in space? There is nothing for the photons to be reflected off, so you cannot see the light nor the shadow. A shadow is formed by an object in the path of a source of light. So considering the sun is the source of light it can't create its own shadow.

Tiny
2004-Feb-04, 06:12 PM
I use 2 light globes in a dark room, 1 light globe is small, and the other one is a big one... both light up, I saw 3 shadows (my shadow as well) so I fail... The sun don't have a shadow. :ph34r: