PDA

View Full Version : Cloaking Devices

Whitestar
2004-Feb-08, 03:54 AM
I must admit that cloaking devices are a nifty invention in sci-fi. But there's something about it that I found fishy. To cloak a ship, you must bend 100% of the light coming in around you to come out the other side, it will leave you undetectable to the enemy but it also leaves 0% to let you see what's going on as well. Although in practice, I don't see why you couldn't bend 99.9%, leaving you almost completely invisible, but letting you see out too. Or better yet, leaving sensors outside the cloaking device. Think about it, if we can build a wireless video camera the size of a penny, anyone capable of building a clocking device should be able to build something worthwhile too that would appear as nothing more than a tiny piece of space debris to a scope.

Now here's another idea I have. Imagine a ship built with a bio-hull. A ship like that may be able to absorb all incoming light, making it invisible. or more precise, the skin bending the light around itself, and thus still able to see out, as it is making direct contact with the light. An even simpler thought might be a chameleon effect, the skin making itself completely blend into the background.

Which one sounds more plausible?

Whitestar

Faulkner
2004-Feb-09, 05:50 AM
Hell knows, Whitestar. But I've seen a docco about how the US military have developed an "invisibility" suit. It works by covering yourself with tiny little TV cameras. Miniature TV screens reflect out what the cameras are seeing in the other direction, so looking at someone wearing this "cloak" would be like looking straight "through" them.

degeneration
2004-Feb-10, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I've seen/heard about that as well!

Given our limitation on technology, that is probaly the first step to making a cloaking device...

I imagine, if it is necessary, at some point in time someone will be able to invent such a thing, but like with everything else, small steps!

DippyHippy
2004-Feb-11, 12:23 AM
OMG, that sounds extremely expensive... but very clever!! I'll have to keep a look out for one on Ebay :D

Is it actually possible to cover quite literally every tiny part of your body in this way? Did they demonstrate it?

Faulkner
2004-Feb-11, 12:28 AM
I saw it on a Discovery channel docco. No, they say it's not perfected. From a distance you might not see 'em, but up close you will. Good for soldiers sneaking up on enemy machine-gun bunkers!!!