PDA

View Full Version : How modest black holes might achieve greatness?

Tiny
2004-Feb-11, 11:23 PM
:lol: I found this question in a Astronomy article, and I think its kinda interseting, so I copy it down. "How modest black holes might achieve greatness?"

William shakespear's Twelfth Night :
Some are born great, some achiever greatness, and some have greatness thrown upon them.

GOURDHEAD
2004-Feb-12, 12:47 PM
By its nature any black hole is more inclined to sweep up more mass than it gives up thereby growing ever more massive until we develop the technology to unravel it.

Skywise
2004-Feb-12, 07:36 PM
This is somewhat subjective, since what's not great about even a so-called modest black hole? :)

The first thought that hopped into my head was having two black holes come into close proximity to each other, or even colliding.

I read something some time ago about what scientists believed were two black holes orbiting around a common center at incredidle speeds and it was generating some almost unbelievably high spikes of energy/radiation. I'll have to go digging for that, though it was quite some time ago. Hmm.

Of course, the recent UT feature about super-massive black holes at the center of galaxies colliding and being perturbed and possibly ejected from the galaxy comes to mind as well. Though that's hardly a modest black hole. Still, it a collision can perturb the not-so-modest black holes, why not the more modest ones that are not at the center of a galaxy?

A somewhat modest black hole that's been ejected and is out drifting in otherwise empty space would be something great to come upon, would it not? *smiles*

- Skywise

Matthew
2004-Feb-13, 06:14 AM
A black hole will start to become a 'great' black hole by sucking up all the matter nearby. Which makes it bigger so its gravity can suck more matter from a greater distance, making it even bigger...

Tiny
2004-Feb-13, 06:21 AM
Ah that reminds me.. u know, when a galaxy expanding from each other, but some attract each other, does that mean there is a black hole that actually sucking nearby galaxy slowly and it makes the galaxy attract it?

tac
2004-Feb-18, 07:58 PM
black holes are not suckers, their gravity(warped space) pulls objects toward. and to the other note black holes do not collide they merge.

just correcting terms