PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Spirit Sees Rising Pockets of ...

Fraser
2004-Feb-13, 06:36 PM
SUMMARY: An instrument on board NASA's Spirit rover has detected warm air thermals rising off the surface of Mars; the first time this has been seen on the Red Planet. Thermals on Earth work to create wind, so by analyzing the temperature and speed of these thermals, it will better help scientists understand wind dynamics on Mars. On the other side of the planet, Opportunity has found unusual blueberry-shaped formations in the soil, and scientists are studying them to understand the soil's development.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-13, 08:56 PM
The rabbit hole just gets deeper!

Okay, I have a seemingly silly question, actually 2 of them.

What would cause those thermals? and are there any images of the soil structures found by Opportunity?

Duane
2004-Feb-13, 11:59 PM
Assuming the process is the same as on earth, heating from the sun.

Victoria
2004-Feb-16, 03:41 AM
Compared to the surface temp. I wonder how "warm" is the temp. that is rising. And with the bluberry formations, are they clumps, how many together in each how spread apart...???Oh the wonder of it ALL! B)

Nick4
2004-Feb-17, 08:07 PM
could this be good news maby mars is heating up?

Roger
2004-Feb-19, 03:34 AM
Could I use this instrument to search for thermals as i fly in my glider? (paraglider that is)

Peter Canuck
2004-Feb-19, 04:33 PM
It shouldn't be a surprise there are 'winds' and thermals there. Its just never been factually proven before.
Since the planet rotates it must have the same type of motions across its surface as does Earth and others.
If we look at the gas clouded planets of Venus, Jupiter, etc, the movements of the gas clouds on those planets has long indicated winds and movements in the atmostpheres as they exist.
This may be proof of something we ebleived all along, but it is hardly earth-shattering.