PDA

View Full Version : The strong force

zrice03
2004-Feb-20, 01:17 AM
I read in The Elegent Universe that the strong nuclear force gets stronger as you get further away from a particle, but I also read that it virtually drops to zero in spaces larger than an atomic nucleus. How can both be possible? Is the strong force different than a simple inverse or direct relation?

Faulkner
2004-Feb-20, 08:02 AM
I'm not sure if I quite get the 2nd half of your first sentence, Zrice03, but I was under the impression that the "strong force" which binds the quarks together acts rather like a rubber band - the further you stretch it, the stronger the tension. It takes enormous energies to break that tension.

zrice03
2004-Mar-12, 12:08 AM
I was thinking about this problem and I think I've figured it out.

The strong force is a very different type than we are used to. All the protons and neutrons in our body are colorless. If they weren't they'd be attracted to each other. Particles have to be color-charged either red, green, or blue (or a combination of any two) to attract any other particles through this force. It's similar to putting a negative charge and positive charge next to each other to have the charges cancel. The only difference is that the charges completely cancel in the strong force, rather than almost in electromagnetism.

Obi Wan
2004-Mar-13, 04:14 AM
The force will be with you...always

Algenon the mouse
2004-Mar-14, 11:37 PM
Is this something along the longs of string theory? I know that it says something along those lines. It has to do with vibrations I believe.

QJones
2004-Mar-15, 05:12 PM
Faulkner's analogy is the easiest to use. Actually, I've now stolen it for my future use.