PDA

View Full Version : Teleportation Part 2

Whitestar
2004-Feb-22, 03:21 PM
In my previous post entitled, Teleportation: http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.p...?showtopic=2118 (http://www.universetoday.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2118) I asked everyones opinion on whether or not matter and energy is a good candidate for teleportation in my story. After much thinking and analyzing, I decided to create a teleport device that operates by accessing extra dimensions. Let's say I want to teleport the crew inside a building to a specific room, the process will begin by scanning the area first with a technology that can see through walls and ceilings. If the coast is clear then the starship will emit a laser beam to burn a hole about the size of a fist to the room I want the crew teleport in. Next, the ship will fire off a portable cylinder through that hole and it will latch securely on the floor. Once in place, it will unfold to extend four rods. Now the crew is teleported on that specific room with the teleport receiving end to complete the process.

I've come across two possibilities on how I want to dispose of the receiving end once the crew teleport back to the ship. The first possibility involves the receiving end to be pre-program to self-destruct, thus, preventing anyone else from using it. The second possibility could involve having it pre-program to return to the ship back the way it came in.

Which one is more appealing?

Whitestar

galaxygirl
2004-Feb-22, 07:27 PM
Out of those two choices, I like the first choice in having the recieveing end self destruct... but if it did, what would happen to all of the remaining pieces?

Spacemad
2004-Feb-22, 07:58 PM
Of your two possible choices, wouldn't the 2nd be the most appropriate? After all economical conditions would surely predominate, why destroy an artifact if you have the possibility of returning it to be used other times? Isnīt that also the theory behind the Space Shuttle?

Anyway, if you have the possibility of teletransportation why <"emit a laser beam to burn a hole about the size of a fist to the room I want the crew teleport in">? <_< As in the case of Star Trek films, why not transport them there without any more to do?

Whitestar
2004-Feb-22, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Spacemad@Feb 22 2004, 07:58 PM
Of your two possible choices, wouldn&#39;t the 2nd be the most appropriate? After all economical conditions would surely predominate, why destroy an artifact if you have the possibility of returning it to be used other times? Isnīt that also the theory behind the Space Shuttle?

Anyway, if you have the possibility of teletransportation why <"emit a laser beam to burn a hole about the size of a fist to the room I want the crew teleport in">? <_< As in the case of Star Trek films, why not transport them there without any more to do?
The thing that I found absurd in Star Trek was that the transporter was able to teleport the crew down to the surface of a planet without a receiving end. In order to teleport the crew down there I have to first send the receiving end in the first place. In order to do that a hole must be placed before sending down the receiving end.

Whitestar