PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Dummy Will Test the Effects of ...

Fraser
2004-Feb-25, 07:01 PM
SUMMARY: Michael Foale and Alexander Kaleri are scheduled to head outside the International Space Station during the night of February 26/27 to perform a nearly 6 hour spacewalk. As part of this spacewalk, they will install what looks like a mannequin to the outside of the station. This is the Matroshka experiment facility, and it's designed to measure the amount of radiation a human will receive in various parts of their body. Tomorrow's spacewalk will be the first time astronauts have ventured outside the station without someone inside to monitor their progress and assist if there's a problem.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Duane
2004-Feb-25, 07:36 PM
Tomorrow's spacewalk will be the first time astronauts have ventured outside the station without someone inside to monitor their progress

:angry: But going to refurbish Hubble one last time is too dangerous.

I can think of a couple of dummys I'ld like to send up there..... :ph34r:

Nick4
2004-Feb-26, 08:13 PM
I hop it is good news we find out. Like people being abel to stay in radeation for a wile.

Nick4
2004-Feb-26, 08:15 PM
:angry: I agree with you Duane i think they should keep hubble in working condition.

John LaCour
2004-Feb-26, 11:49 PM
This is one of the most important types of study that will be done over the next 10 years on the ISS. Finding a way to keep people alive in space, outside of Earth's protective magnetic field, is the only way we will ever be able to explore our solar system. Until we answer the quesitons this dummy is designed to investigate, we're stuck in low Earth orbit.

Victoria
2004-Feb-29, 12:18 AM
I agree with you John. The magnitudeof this test alone will definately give the heads up on where, what and how the next step will be taken. I am so relieved to hear there are no animals in danger. :)