PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Closest Youngest Star Found

Fraser
2004-Feb-27, 09:08 PM
SUMMARY: Astronomers from the University of California, Berkeley have discovered the nearest and youngest star with a visible disk of dust that could be a home for planets. The dim red star, AU Microscopium, is only 33 light-years away. It's half the mass of the Sun, and only 12 million years old (our Sun is 4.6 billion years old). The star was imaged using the University of Hawaii's 2.2-metre telescope atop Mauna Kea, which can block out the central star to reveal dimmer material.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

John LaCour
2004-Feb-27, 09:38 PM
What about Vega and Formalhaut? I thought both were closer and had dust disks around them, too. I also thought both were young. I also thought there were several T-Tauri stars, young stars just finishing their formation, that are closer than this one...

damienpaul
2004-Feb-27, 11:56 PM
12 million years old??? That is a baby! what are the other features of it? and are there any links to picks of it?

2004-Feb-28, 12:08 AM
Could that be...our 2nd companion star of the Sun?

Hoore500
2004-Feb-28, 12:21 AM
Is dim red elder than the Sun? In case of high intelligent life this is very interesting to see how our own life could evoluate. About Vega: after I told my opinion about it toArtemis@marssociety.nl, I mist the rest of the story. Maybe just try overthere because she talks a lot with savants, she's one herself but not in sciences nor mathematics (nor medecine, nor engineer).

Any news from Mars please? I'm getting sick of thinking about that heap with stones and so. Are the rovers executing a nano program? :ph34r:

damienpaul
2004-Feb-28, 12:35 AM
ummm dim red is younger than the sun, 12 million years is less than 5 billion, a lot less, maybe we are looking at a picture of the early solar system.

setiman
2004-Feb-29, 11:45 AM
:) A closer star is exciting, but even more exciting is the ongoing search for other solar systems. This search and its successful results will begin to conclusively modify our thinking about the uniqueness of planet Earth and our existence. As I have said before, we are not alone.

:D setiman

Victoria
2004-Mar-01, 01:48 AM
Seems like this observatory in Hawaii is certainly doing a fair share of work lately :) . Never been to the islands, only hear of their activities. B)

Planetwatcher
2004-Mar-01, 03:37 AM
Could that be...our 2nd companion star of the Sun?
Not hardly at 33 light years away. The next closest known star is Proxima Centauri at 4 and a quarter light years distant.

A companion star's distance would be a few hours away at light speed up to half a light year at the most. The revered but unproven Nemisis companion is suppose to be between 3 and 6 months out at light speed.
For the sake of reference, light from the Sun reaches Mercury the closest planet in a little over 3 minutes. Earth is 8 and a half light minutes from the Sun.
The most distant known planet Pluto is a little over 10 hours at the speed of light.

Is dim red elder than the Sun? Not neccesarilly.
A dim red star can be either. Because the smaller and dimmer the star, the longer it is likely to exist. Large, bright, blue and white stars will burn up it's fuel quicker and therefore not stay around as long.

But a red giant star, or red super giant is likely near the end of it's life, which makes it much older then our Sun.

Nick4
2004-Mar-04, 12:05 AM
That must be a powerful telescop to pick up somthing that small.