PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Zero

Zedd_7
2004-Feb-28, 01:06 AM
Some say that the temperture of space is less than a hundredth of a degree from absolute zero. What would happen if absolute zero were to be reached? anyone have any ideas?

Littlemews
2004-Feb-28, 01:21 AM
Everything will stop moving... and all the atoms or particles are frozen to death, one touch, you trun into pieces...

2004-Feb-28, 01:45 AM
Close. Absolute zero means that there is no movement of atoms. It is the temperature at which all movement stops.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-28, 02:19 AM
I thought the temperature of space was 3 degrees above absolute zero.

Littlemews
2004-Feb-28, 02:21 AM
yup its 2.7 K ~ 3 K :lol:

tycho1981
2004-Feb-28, 03:26 AM
My teacher told me it any material reach the absolute zero then it will just disseaper. So it dont change breakable ice or so.

Fraser
2004-Feb-28, 04:15 AM
All movement doesn't stop at absolute zero, it's just the point at which you can't pull any more energy out of a substance. Quantum theory says that you can't actually make the atoms completely stop moving because this would violate the Heisenberg uncertainty principle (you can't know the position and momentum of a particle).

From 0-degrees K, you can still measure the speed at which it would cool objects placed next to it. I can see why it would do anything dramatic other than cool it down.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-28, 04:51 AM
Isn't there a name for materials at Absolute Zero? I read somewhere (and for the life of me cannot remember where) that this is considered by some to be another state of matter.

devilmech
2004-Feb-28, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by damienpaul@Feb 28 2004, 04:51 AM
Isn't there a name for materials at Absolute Zero? I read somewhere (and for the life of me cannot remember where) that this is considered by some to be another state of matter.
There's only 5 typs of matter: solid, liquid, gas, Bose-Einstein condensate, and fermionic condensate.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-28, 05:20 AM
no worries, thank you for that! does one of the 5 describe a substance at absolute zero? where does plasma fit in those 5?

Planetwatcher
2004-Feb-29, 05:22 AM
Isn't there a name for materials at Absolute Zero? Would you be refering to the Kelvin scale? Which is centigrade except in degrees above absolute zero, rather then degrees above water freezing.

damienpaul
2004-Feb-29, 06:54 AM
I would be indeed, Planetwatcher...isn't there a specific substance for materials at Absolute Zero, besides being known as 'freezing dang cold'

Matthew
2004-Feb-29, 11:01 PM
At 0 degrees K atomic movement would cease, thats what temperature is, energy, in any form. Heat, light, mechanical movement. Unless that energy is completely efficient, it will create a small amount of heat.

Tom2Mars
2004-Mar-03, 04:47 AM
Absolut Zero is the point at which all partying stops. That is when you have no more vodka.

damienpaul
2004-Mar-03, 07:47 AM
I was asked a question by a student today - what would happene if an atom at absolute zero were split?