PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Mission Sets Out to Map Southern ...

Fraser
2004-Mar-04, 06:14 PM
SUMMARY: An international team of scientists has set out on a three-week expedition to South America and Antarctica to survey glaciers to help determine the rate of climate change on Earth. They'll gather data using a specially configured DC-8 aircraft carrying a tool called the Airborne Synthetic Aperture Radar. It scans the ground in multiple wavelengths, polarizations, and in interferometric modes to "see" through treetops, sand and snow pack and produce topographic models.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Victoria
2004-Mar-05, 01:14 AM
Whoa-I still am daily amazed with tech. Would that be okay to peek in? I feel invaded for these poor peoples of the forest. Why must we scope in on their daily survival. It's not like once we located a unique civilization we would properly take care of the info. we gathered. I feel like I should speak up for the ones' unaccounted. Leave 'em alone and go forward with forest dwindling protests. :angry: Sorry don't mean to be frank. that's how I feel.

om@umr.edu
2004-Mar-05, 03:03 PM
I personally endorse this effort to try to understand more about the ball of dirt we inhabit. :D

There are some concerns:

1. The assumed "climate change" whose rate is to be measured, <_<
2. Technological intrusion into remote areas, :(
3. Possible misuse of the findings to support a political agenda. :angry:

Hopefully the results of this study will include information on the funding sources and the selection process for this "international team of scientists." :rolleyes:

Oliver :D
http://www.umr.edu/~om

Victoria
2004-Mar-05, 06:05 PM
Oliver, I am relieved you stepped up to define the role of the mission. I am always skeptical of governing alterier motives.

Nick4
2004-Mar-06, 04:04 PM
It is good that we are trying to understand our own planet.

damienpaul
2004-Mar-06, 09:01 PM
Hand the information to the schools to look at, that is an impartial group and keen.