PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Early Oceans Might Have Had ...

Fraser
2004-Mar-10, 06:10 PM
SUMMARY: The Earth's early oceans looked much different than today's, according to researchers from the University of Rochester; they were probably devoid of oxygen for a billion years longer than previously thought. Most geologists believe that the oceans had no oxygen for the first two billion years, and have been oxygen-rich for the last 500 million, but the time in between was a mystery. The team studied rocks that were on the floor of an ancient ocean, one billion years ago, and found that it was still oxygen poor at that time.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Guest_randy
2004-Mar-10, 08:01 PM
so what was the liquid because I believe water is 1/3 oxygen?

Guest_M
2004-Mar-10, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Guest_randy@Mar 10 2004, 08:01 PM
so what was the liquid because I believe water is 1/3 oxygen?
one of the three atoms in a water molecule is oxygen. but they are talking about additional O2 dissolved in water. even fish can't breathe the O out of water molecules

JimN
2004-Mar-10, 10:21 PM
So no fish in the sea then?

Duane
2004-Mar-10, 10:35 PM
Well, as fish require oxygen, I would say that is a good conclusion :)

John LaCour
2004-Mar-10, 11:21 PM
The whole point of this article is attempting to explain the dearth of multi-cellular life between the time when life first appeared in the fossil record until about half a billion years ago when it rapidly took off. Single celled organisms were the only game in town for the first 3 billion years of life on Earth, with limited if any multi-cellular life forms. Their arguement is that it took a build up of molecular oxygen in the atmosphere and disolved in the oceans before multi-cellular life could use it to grow and evolve, thus leading to the pinnacle of evolution... ME! :D

2004-Mar-11, 08:14 PM
So the H2O then was only H2, i dount think that would taste very well.

JimN
2004-Mar-12, 12:55 AM
Hmmm :blink: .... Water and taste. This is getting weird.

damienpaul
2004-Mar-12, 09:53 AM
So perhaps the oceans got an oxygenated kick in the pantaloons!

I like the idea that it was a sudden oxygenation caused by a very sudden proliferation of oxygen producing microbes, maybe, just maybe this microcosm suffered a massive 'population explosion'?

Duane
2004-Mar-12, 05:13 PM
So the H2O then was only H2, i dount think that would taste very well.

Umm, no, that would be molecular hydrogen. It's that H2O was was not heavily infused with O2.

And eye r the pinnicle! pheer mah! :lol:

JESMKS
2004-Mar-12, 05:20 PM
I think our early oceans contained dissolved CO2. Single cell phytoplankton, which I believe are ubiquitous in our galaxy, found our oceans habitable. They consumed the dissolved CO2 and through photosyntheses, released O2, which in time, created our Oxygen atmosphere. If there are fossils on Mars, the most probable would be the silica shells of diatoms. Diatoms, which include some 12,000 species, are common in most bodies of water on earth. and would probably have inhabited Mars ancestral lakes or ocean.
Jack

Duane
2004-Mar-12, 05:29 PM
Yes Jack, I think that's possible. Course the bateria had to have started somewhere right? If not here, then somewhere. So the suggestion that it arose here is just as plausible.

And I believe you are absolutely right about the buildup of O2. There is alot of research which also supports your view on this.

I also agree with your comment about life on Mars. If there are such fossils, they will likely be in some form of carbonate or silica.

Hey, you are a pretty smart fella! :D