PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong Endorses Bush's Space Plan

DippyHippy
2004-Mar-13, 12:14 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...mstrong_space_2 (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=624&ncid=624&e=2&u=/ap/20040312/ap_on_sc/armstrong_space_2)

...but is he endorsing it for all mankind or just Bush's benefit??

Chook
2004-Mar-23, 07:35 PM
Mr. Armstrong is an Aeronautical Engineer, not an Accountant (despite his statement "... the plan is economically sustainable").

Warnings from USA Economists about the critical condition of the US deficit, and their urgent recommendations to "cut spending and increase revenues" (like any good household), should dampen down anybody's expectations of Space Exploration within the next few years. :huh:

DippyHippy
2004-Mar-24, 02:15 AM
Alas, it doesn't dampen the administration's enthusiasm for increasing the budget for nuclear weapons as well...

Tom2Mars
2004-Mar-24, 04:57 AM
from Chook:

Warnings from USA Economists about the critical condition of the US deficit...should dampen down anybody's expectations of Space Exploration within the next few years.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to say, as usual, that my expectations, enthusiam, and optimism cannot be dampened, dimmed or diminished one Iota. Because, it isn't about the money. The truth is, space projects could not only survive, but thrive, without government help. This is a perceptual problem.

A hypnotist can say, listen to the sound of my voice, you cannot open your eyes, and if you're into it and have nothing better to do, or no will, you will aquiesce to what he tells you. So, everyone, just open your eyes, and tell the negative, noncommital, unscientifically trained government politicians that you want results, or good day to you sir! And, then do it on your own.

Plays like 'Waitiing for Godot' are written because playwrights can see people wait their whole lives for someone to tell them when their life can start.

A real quick example of the intangibility of cost: The start and stop and restart of NASA programs has been found to make them cost twice as much in the longrun. There is loss of momentum, it takes people time to get "back into the rythym", they have to refamiliarize themselves with details. I've even looked back on programming I did in short focused sessions the year before, and I can't even tell you how I did it the first time. But if someone told me I could only work on it 6 minutes a week for a year instead of all at once in one good long weekend, I could probably never produce any working software code.

Lack of focus and commitment will bring about failure. This isn't about money. It's about will. Just decide to do it, without the govt. if you have to and it will get done.

Chook
2004-Mar-24, 07:51 PM
I respect your enthusiasm and opinion, Tom2Mars; but ...
- if you have a mortgage payment coming up next week, and the kids HAVE to have their teeth fixed up, (etc. etc.), and you only have $100 for necessities until payday .... you'd be a fool to put your neck out to buy that new car.

The USA's officials are now warning that its Medicare is in crisis - and its trust fund will be in the red $27 trillion dollars by (I think he said) 2007 unless user-contributions are increased and other measures taken.

Don't close your eyes to these FACTS Tom2Mars.

I know - they can dig out money from "somewhere" in times of war - but it ALL has to be paid back ... by YOU, the taxpayer (plus interest!).

This has been a problem here, in Australia - borrowing - especially with credit cards. You think that because you have a $2,000 limit on your bloody credit card you can go out and spend $2,000 with impunity. You can't! It has ALL to be paid back plus a hefty interest. You wouldn't believe the number of people whio have multiple Credit Cards - even using one to pay the interest accummulated on the other(s). Bloody wombats! :(