PDA

View Full Version : Contact, the movie

CzC
2002-Oct-07, 12:59 AM
Spoiler Warning.

I watched this movie the other day, and I really liked it. But I noticed that on her craft, there were no provisions that I could see, not even a picnic basket. Considering that they assumed she'd be gone for over 50 years (round trip to Vega), they would've explained this somehow, that is if I didn't miss it or it wasn't edited out (commercial TV). Assuming that they had the smarts to build a machine that could open a portal in the time/space 'fabric' or whatever and there were no storage bays or waste dump facilities, why would it be so hard for them to believe Arroway's story that her trip was instantaneous? Did the book cover this?

CzC

frenat
2002-Oct-07, 02:45 AM
I think that in keeping with special relativity, they assumed that the trip would be instantaneous for her but that 50 years would pass for everyone else.

g99
2002-Oct-07, 02:51 AM
If i remember the movie correctly the chair was supposed to be a universal safety system, and i'm guessing they infeerred supply systems too (air, food, water, waste) ect.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-07, 02:57 AM
On 2002-10-06 20:59, CzC wrote:
Assuming that they had the smarts to build a machine that could open a portal in the time/space 'fabric' or whatever
They were just following very specific directions, remember?

mallen
2002-Oct-07, 03:43 AM
On 2002-10-06 22:57, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

On 2002-10-06 20:59, CzC wrote:
Assuming that they had the smarts to build a machine that could open a portal in the time/space 'fabric' or whatever
They were just following very specific directions, remember?

Except, wasn't the chair not in the plans? They did take some liberties.

XPav
2002-Oct-07, 06:11 PM
You are correct.

The book does a better job of the story and explaining some of these little bits. I thought The Machine in the movie was very well done though.

Doodler
2002-Oct-08, 06:11 PM
The movie was pretty well done for a scaled down version of the book. I still saw the ending the same. It left me with the feeling, "Is that it? Why did they bother then? What was the point?"

Russ
2002-Oct-13, 03:32 PM
A lot of things are different between the book and movie. To answer your specific question, yes they do talk about food, bathrooms, etc. in the book. The answer is that the instruction manual was very specific about how many people (5), each persons maximum mass, total mass of the system, construction of chairs for the 5 people, etc.

In the book, there were to be five people not one as in the movie. Also there were five overstuffed chairs, as in living room chairs, not the hi-tech thing in the movie. The jump suits the crew wore had many pockeds in which they carried various equipment and some snak food type foods.

Another BIG difference between the movie and the book is Palmer Joss and Ellie's relationship to him.

In my opinion, if you want a better story and explanation of what's happening, read the book.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Oct-13, 03:56 PM
And the book has pi, as a message from God.

Or am I thinking of something else?

Chuck
2002-Oct-13, 05:56 PM
It was Contact in which the digits of pi, in base 11, had a message encoded. While we were working on decoding the aliens' transmitted message they were working on decoding the 'pi' message.