PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: SOHO Sees a Huge Prominence on ...

Fraser
2004-Mar-16, 04:16 PM
SUMMARY: The ESA/NASA SOHO spacecraft took a beautiful picture of an enormous prominence, 700,000 kilometres across, ejected from the surface of the Sun. An "eruptive prominence" is a mass of relatively cool plasma - only 80,000 C, instead of 1-2 million C in the upper atmosphere of the Sun. These are usually associated with coronal mass ejections (CMEs), and can affect the Earth's magnetosphere when they come our way.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Eric Vaxxine
2004-Mar-16, 04:19 PM
:o Truly Spectacular. I wouldn't want to be any closer, either. Does the sun generate fuel in any way, or is it literally burning off its 'tank full'.

Algenon the mouse
2004-Mar-18, 01:27 AM
It also makes me wonder how the solar flare cycle is doing on the sun. The cycle is said to be responsible for the ice age cycle on the earth.

Nick4
2004-Mar-20, 05:38 PM
Well Eric Vaxxine the sun is burning up all of its fuel it has about i think it was 5 million years befor it swels out to the orbit of mars so you dount have to wory. :D

damienpaul
2004-Mar-20, 11:34 PM
I think it is 5 billion years Nick. I have heard of this cycle as well Algenon, that a lull causes ice ages, well acts as a cause.

Nick4
2004-Mar-22, 09:21 PM
My mistake i new it was one or the other. :D