PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: X-43a Goes Hypersonic

Fraser
2004-Mar-29, 07:36 PM
SUMMARY: A NASA X-43A prototype scramjet aircraft performed a successful test on Saturday, reaching a top speed of Mach 7. The X-43A was mounted to the front of a Pegasus rocket which was dropped from a B-52 bomber. The rocket carried it to an altitude of 29,000 metres and then the X-43A fired its scramjet for 10 seconds, extinguishing its hydrogen fuel supply. It flew for a few more minutes to record aerodynamic data. Another test flight is scheduled for later this year.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

wootart
2004-Mar-29, 10:20 PM
What is the Scramjet made of? Is friction a problem?

Ray Bingham
2004-Mar-30, 12:36 AM
I'm glad to see they finally got a successful flight but they are trying to claim a speed record for an air breathing aircratft. that is not the case. The 5000 MPH was acjoeved pm the power of the pegasus rocket. The head admited on TV that the maximum speed was at separation. That means that even if the scram jet did work it did not develope enough thrust to accelerate the x-43 on its own. I know this is just the first successful flight of a prototype model and hope they achieve more with the larger model they have planned to build next but they are sort of padding the score. I wish them good luck on the next flight.

Ray Bingham

antoniseb
2004-Mar-30, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by Ray Bingham@Mar 30 2004, 12:36 AM
The head admited on TV that the maximum speed was at separation.
This seems more consistant with my expectations than the statement in the press that it separated at Mach 5 and reached a maximum of Mach 7. Six g's of acceleration seemed really great for something they were iffy about whether it would work or not. Can you point to more details?

Nick4
2004-Mar-30, 07:54 PM
Mach-7 thats fast. :o

bravehart6
2004-Apr-02, 05:04 AM
Hi folks.
I have been reading some of the forum articals, and it makes me wonder,
why anyone still thinks in the convential way, meaning interms of aerodynamics
and air resistance?

why do we need to?

We have some knowledge of QUANTUM? If we develop that further, we will
get into antigravity generators and the QUANTUM leaps will allow us to
"JUMP" time.
We need to understand that space is Curved, ergo TIME is Curved!
The problem with this is that by the time you return to EARTH nobody
at the present will be alive!

Should we than not thinking of reversed QUANTUM? Or INVERSED QUANTUM?
Some of you bright mind's should be able to crack this.
Until you solve that we are going NOWHERE!!

Maybe you could have FRACTIONAL QUANTUM?