PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Astronauts Hear Mystery Sound Again

Fraser
2004-Apr-05, 04:47 PM
SUMMARY: The crew on board the International Space Station heard a strange sound again on Friday; the second time in four months. Alexander Kaleri was speaking with flight controllers when he heard a loud, drumlike sound coming from an instrument panel. Kaleri and Michael Foale searched for the source of the sound last time, but they weren't able to locate it. A spacewalk outside the station was called short because of a suit malfunction before the astronauts were able to see if there was a problem on the outside of the station. Kaleri and Foale are expected to return to Earth in just a few more weeks.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Tiny
2004-Apr-05, 04:57 PM
It looks like the space station is aging somehow :lol: and need to be retire like the HST does.

antoniseb
2004-Apr-05, 04:57 PM
For those who are interested in manned space expeditions, finding the source of this noise should be a very interesting mystery. For developing the technology for long duration habitation, we need the ISS, and we need to understand its problems so we can design them out of the next habitats.

This noise might be nothing important, or it might be life threatening. Odds favor the unimportant, but the real issue here to me is that there is no test or means to really find what's going wrong here. A better habitat will have a lot more self-diagnostics on every system.

Mettalica1
2004-Apr-05, 07:01 PM
WOW i like this story the best so far its amazin :o

Algenon the mouse
2004-Apr-05, 08:05 PM
I just hope that people do not get too carried away with this story like they did the John Glenn one. He saw silver floaty things outside his space craft. It turned out to be be water cyrstals. Many people thought he saw space aliens though including mission control who, worried about his mental health, asked, "and what did they say?" It is still one of the top UFO stories.

DippyHippy
2004-Apr-05, 10:48 PM
Duh... it's obvious... it's the aliens trying to get in :P

Nick4
2004-Apr-06, 07:02 PM
The way i see it, it could be one of three things 1. Alians 2. small meteorits 3. wires hiting the sides of the walls inbetween the outside and the inside walls of the space station.

B)(but thats just me) B)

Weaselbunny
2004-Apr-06, 07:19 PM
I reckon Algenon the Mouse is stowed away in the panel playing the bongos! :lol: :P

rangutan
2004-Apr-06, 10:14 PM
"Sounds" like fatigue due to expansion/contraction to me. I prefere a 60° hexagonal design to any space vehicle. This in combination with cylindrical elements are much more sturdy. Our comon 90°square type of design and thinking shows much more stress in its components, even for the strongest materials, the result being fatigue heard by material that cant take-much-more, like the cracks shown radiating from door/window corners in buildings. Some who live in metal-based/prefabricated homes also report drumming at night when the temperature drops as the material is "working".

Algenon the mouse
2004-Apr-07, 01:20 AM
^ since I do not play the bongos, that sounds about right.

Weaselbunny
2004-Apr-07, 05:29 PM
If it's as simple as that then why all the big hoo har? Surely the big brains wouldn't be baffled if it was something as obvious.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's the most likely thing too, but why are all the 'experts' drawing blanks?

damienpaul
2004-Apr-08, 04:19 AM
Nah its Chook pecking around the space station, like what Dips said, aliens trying to get in....:P

I agree with you weaselbunny, surely its a simple answer and not as drastic as they worry about it, the conspiracy theorists and others are likely to be having a field day with this!

Tom Horning
2004-Apr-09, 11:13 PM
Is it possible the space station has a loose bolt or something that is allowing a structural member to expand and contract more than normal ? Have the guys in the space sation looked in the panel area or partially dismantled it.
every nite at approx 9pm our house creaks in a certain area and there is nothing wrong with it except it creaks for about 0.5 seconds.

Weaselbunny
2004-Apr-10, 02:02 PM
My PC's base unit makes a wierd chicken noise from time to time, I just put it down to character! :D

damienpaul
2004-Apr-10, 02:52 PM
Chook is in your computer???

isferno
2004-Apr-10, 08:07 PM
I just think that one of the Astronauts got bored and tried spinning some tool in midair and walk away for a few minutes.
If he fails, bang ;)

Weaselbunny
2004-Apr-11, 02:08 AM
Damo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom2Mars
2004-Apr-11, 03:17 AM
Good Design instinct, rangutan!

My structures incorporate 60° Hexagonal layouts, and are working quite nicely. Also, I use ventable thermal breaks, so the structures(habitats) don't experience much temperature change and corresponding expansion and contraction.

My space station design is multi-layered, so if there is a question about something, it is possible to "go behind the wall" and see what's going on, without a spacewalk.