PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: 8.4 Metre Mirror Installed On ...

Fraser
2004-Apr-12, 06:27 PM
SUMMARY: The first of two 8.4 metre mirrors has been installed into the Large Binocular Telescope, which will become one of the world's most powerful telescopes. The 16 tonne mirror made the 240 km journey from Tucson, Arizona to the top of Mount Graham. Technicians are now testing the mirror support system hardware and software. Once the second mirror is installed, the combined light-gathering power will make the LBT the equivalent of an 11.8 metre telescope - it should be able to produce images 10 times sharper than the Hubble Space Telescope.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Nick4
2004-Apr-13, 03:13 AM
I dount see how this will create 10 times more sharper images if it is on earth. Or is it in space maby i missed something.

johnm
2004-Apr-14, 11:50 AM
Seems nobody picked up on this................

If the new generation ground based telescopes are 10 times better resolution than Hubble, then why spend any more money on the Hubble?

fpa3
2004-Apr-26, 11:02 PM
Doesn't Hubble see at a broader spectrum than ground-based instruments? Our atmosphere filters out many wavelengths that cannot be recaptured by adaptive optics. Ground-based instruments in the optical band can only be used during nightime where they are located and are affected by the presence of the reflection from the moon. All factors that do not apply or are more easily controlled from space. No?

digitaria
2004-Apr-27, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by fraser@Apr 12 2004, 06:27 PM
SUMMARY: The first of two 8.4 metre mirrors has been installed into the Large Binocular Telescope, which will become one of the world's most powerful telescopes. The 16 tonne mirror made the 240 km journey from Tucson, Arizona to the top of Mount Graham. Technicians are now testing the mirror support system hardware and software. Once the second mirror is installed, the combined light-gathering power will make the LBT the equivalent of an 11.8 metre telescope - it should be able to produce images 10 times sharper than the Hubble Space Telescope.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.
a very expensive pair of binoculars........and an interesting study in configuring them I should think. The only real role I can see for them is they would make a great comet search instrument.

I suspect they (the makers) meant to say that there will be an increase in atmospheric distortions by a factor of 10.!!