PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Gravity Probe B Is Working Fine

Fraser
2004-Apr-23, 08:36 PM
SUMMARY: NASA has checked out its recently launched Gravity Probe B spacecraft, and everything seems to be working fine. The solar panels are producing enough power to run all of its electrical systems, and its communications systems are talking to operators on the ground. All four gyro suspension systems have been activated, and the gyros are now being prepared to gather scientific data. If all goes well, the spacecraft should confirm two predictions that Einstein made about general relativity: how the Earth bends space and time around it, and how it drags space and time as it rotates.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

antoniseb
2004-Apr-23, 09:04 PM
If Gravity Probe B returns the results that are expected, it will not prove General Relativity, but it will put some severe constraints on competing theories. It will also make us able to say things more certainly and precisely about the space around rotating black holes and neutron stars. This probe may be uninteresting to the general public, but I think it's a pretty cool experiment.

isferno
2004-Apr-23, 10:01 PM
No doubt the public (including me) will discard the opinion that they shouldn't be interrested ;)

For those less familiar with space distortian and graphics: ...
The picture used shows the Earth as 3 Dimensional, but the gravity grid is 2 dimensional "slice of space" with the 3th dimension being the strength of Gravity.
The lower the grid, the stronger the gravity pulls you towards Earth.

abyssalroamer
2004-Apr-24, 05:56 AM
The Gravity Probe was the brainchild of my mechanics prof, William Fairbank. This site gives a bit of a history of the evolution of the project:http://www.icra.it/Fairbank/

imported_Ziggy
2004-Apr-24, 01:19 PM
Gravity Probe B is a very important probe. And it's been delayed for way too long. If it proves Enstein's theories right, then we make a big leap in my most favorite FTL propulsion system, warp drive :rolleyes: .

2004-Apr-24, 09:50 PM
Common sense dictates that the presence of the force of gravity on any large body in space, is a consequence of both the exposure or capture area to the vacuum of space, and the density of that body.

Therefore is seems that gravity pushes down on the body, or accumulates depending on the overall density of that body, and this gravitational force will vary over the surface of that body.

Gravity is yet one more manifestation of those potential energies found in the vacuum of space.

Digitaria.

John
2004-Apr-29, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Ziggy@Apr 24 2004, 01:19 PM
Gravity Probe B is a very important probe. And it's been delayed for way too long. If it proves Enstein's theories right, then we make a big leap in my most favorite FTL propulsion system, warp drive :rolleyes: .
The only reason the GPB was delayed was because we lacked the ability to fabricate gyroscopes of sufficient quality until now.

John
2004-Apr-29, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Apr 24 2004, 09:50 PM
Common sense dictates that the presence of the force of gravity on any large body in space, is a consequence of both the exposure or capture area to the vacuum of space, and the density of that body.

Therefore is seems that gravity pushes down on the body, or accumulates depending on the overall density of that body, and this gravitational force will vary over the surface of that body.

Gravity is yet one more manifestation of those potential energies found in the vacuum of space.

Digitaria.
Gravity is a property of anything with Mass, and has nothing to do with the vacuum energy. There are measurable variations in the force of gravity of any body based on local density variations (mountains vs oceans), but the differences are very small.

There are ideas that inertia may be caused by interactions with virtual particles created in the vacuum energy, but this is only a theory and is competing with another that say inertia is caused by the gravitational pull of extremely distant objects throughout the universe - the general gravitational field caused by all bodies with mass.

Guest_dave
2004-Sep-06, 04:44 PM
"Gravity is a property of anything with Mass, and has nothing to do with the vacuum energy"

Gravity is still pretty undefined
It has been said after the Mineshaft plumb-bob experiments that gravity may not come from within, but "without". Not pull down but push down.

Two plumbobs hung down 2 5 mile verticle shafts sided by side made an apex in space, not in the earth (They were farther apart at the bottom)

We know little about its mechanics. I believe there is more involved with energy than given at the time.