PDA

View Full Version : Lunar Eclipse

galaxygirl
2004-Apr-27, 01:13 AM
Asia, Europe and Australia will be able to see a total lunar eclipse on May 4th. Lucky you! I found a story about it here (http://www.space.com/spacewatch/lunar_eclipse_040423.html)

Too bad we wont be able to see it in the US or Canada <_<

Littlemews
2004-Apr-27, 01:24 AM
Hmm I thought it was May 17th.... well thx anway.

AnglesB
2004-Apr-27, 11:13 AM
If anybody is in the Wiltshire area (United Kingdom), the Science Musuem have arranged a science evening to coincide with this eclipse. The Wiltshire Astronomical Society have moved their monthly meeting to the Wroughton Airfield site of the Science Museum (just South of Swindon and the M4). We will be having a talk, then setting up telescope and cameras ready for the Moon rising in eclipse. This has meant in the past that the eclipse is invisible for the first degree or two as the darkened full Moon climbs out of the tangential atmospherics.
Here&#39;s for clear skies.

kashi
2004-Apr-27, 01:23 PM
I observed one a few years ago that was supposed to be the longest and most spectacular for 50 thousand years or thereabouts. Once you&#39;ve seen one you&#39;ve seen &#39;em all if you ask me&#33;

AnglesB
2004-Apr-28, 04:38 PM
I have to disagree - though it does depend on the sky conditions and other objects near by to make Lunar eclipses &#39;interesting&#39;. I remember a few years back watching the darkness of the sky suddenly change - Saturn (while previously visible) really seemed to pop out - almost a 3D efect.
Then gauge the colour of the Moon - a very useful indicator of pollution in the Earth&#39;s atmosphere (usually volcanic or big forest fire smoke related).

This May 4th we will be watching as it climbs out of the belt of Venus in full eclipse...if clear skies allow.

Tiny
2004-Apr-29, 01:32 AM
Oh crap this is the 3rd time that Lunar eclipse appear around the eastern heimsphere... Is that true the next Lunar eclipse that show up again in the eastern hemisphere is on 2005 bewteen April and May?

DippyHippy
2004-Apr-29, 03:36 AM
From where I am, Luton, England, 51N53 000W25 the Moon rises at 8:25pm BST on the 4th - at this point about half the Moon will be in the umbra. It starts to leave the umbra around 2 hours later and will have left the umbra completely at around 11:15pm BST :)

Ola D.
2004-May-08, 11:15 AM
Hey guys,

the lunar eclipse was FANTASTIC :D the astronomical society here in Jordan was there with their telescopes and stuff ready for the public so that to observe the eclipse closely

Bad you&#39;ve missed it galaxy girl .. It was really worth taking a flight to Asia or Europe :P

i&#39;ve missed alot of things in this forum ... i guess i need to catch up
maybe after i finish my A-Levels <_< I have my examinations due June :)

Take care,
Ola

DippyHippy
2004-May-08, 11:18 PM
Here in Luton, England, the day started off good but - naturally - it clouded over as the sun was setting. Typical. :angry:

Algenon the mouse
2004-May-09, 10:28 PM
The best lunar eclispe I saw was in Germany about twenty years ago. The condtions were right and it was beautiful. It was also the only place I have ever seen the milky way.

Ah...I wish for those days without light polution.

galaxygirl
2004-May-09, 10:37 PM
The only lunar eclipse I&#39;ve ever seen was last Winter in Boston, so obviously it wasnt the greatest because of light polution. I hope to one day go to a place where there isnt any light polution so I can see a really nice lunar eclipse. I really wish I could have seen the one on the 4th.

DippyHippy
2004-May-09, 10:52 PM
I saw last November&#39;s eclipse from 10,000 feet, on my way from Dallas / Fort Worth to Lawton, OK. I knew about it so I was watching it out the window, but the pilot came over the tannoy and told everyone to look. Sadly, very few people did.

galaxygirl
2004-May-09, 11:39 PM
How could people not want to look at the eclipse? When I was in Boston, my friend and I just got out of a restraunt and I was bumping into a bunch of people trying to find the moon (there were many buildings). Once I found it I pointed up to the sky and told my friend to look. Others walking past started to look up too. Soon after there was this large group of people blocking up the walkway, staring at the moon. It was a lot of fun, but very cold.

Tom2Mars
2004-May-10, 03:42 AM
Good going, galaxygirl, you make them look(up)&#33; You&#39;re a natural leader.

Once about 12 years ago, I had camped out on my property in a tent for a week to do some land clearing and skip the 60 mile round trip commute from town. I went to sleep and there was a full moon. A couple of hours later, I woke up and "had to go outside for a bit", and it was earily quiet, the Milky Way was visible, and I must have been a bit groggy, because it took me awhile to realize that there should have been a full moon. I looked up again, and I could see that it was the middle of an eclipse&#33; No planning. Must have been the birds/insects going quiet that woke me up.

Interesting comparison story- Years ago, my dad told me a story about a lighthouse keeper who had to load and set a multiple-round lighthouse "gun" with blanks every night before he went to bed. The gun shot off a round every hour as an alert/timekeeping function for the boats to keep track of the lighthouse in case of fog and stuff. After months of his duties, he got used to the shots, and was able to continue sleeping through them. One night, one of the blanks was a dud, and didn&#39;t go off. He woke up at the absence of the sound. :ph34r:

Spacemad
2004-May-10, 09:59 PM
I was looking forward to seeing the eclipse on the 4th but, as always, the British weather played its part & it rained most of the day here , not until about 10 p.m. did the sky begin to clear - albeit, too late to see the eclipse&#33; :angry: Yet there was a peculiar effect - the Moon seemed to be "deeper" (more embedded) in the sky - must have been the last effects of it leaving the Earth´s shadow&#33;

Venus has been so incredibly bright this last week - its a long, long time since I can recall having seen it so bright&#33; Behind the patio, at the factory where I work, there are some really big conifers (Fir trees), well, I was behind a stack of material & out of the lights of the patio when I happened to glance upwards & what I saw really made me catch my breath for a moment&#33; There was a really bright light just above the tip of the tree - for all the world like the star that we put on the top of the Christmas tree&#33; I had to stop what I was doing & take a longer look - I realised I was seeing Venus - but what a magnificent sight it was&#33;&#33;&#33; :) It made up for not seeing the eclipse&#33;