PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Nasa's X-prize Looking For Ideas

Fraser
2004-Apr-29, 05:18 PM
SUMMARY: Sometimes it takes a prize to really propel an industry forward, like with the historic Orteig Prize, which rewarded Charles Lindbergh $25,000 for crossing the Atlantic by airplane. In its most recent budget, NASA has set aside some budget to reward groups who accomplish certain milestones. The agency will be holding a workshop on June 15-16 in Washington D.C. to gather ideas and brainstorm on what kinds of goals will leverage this budget the furthest.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

John
2004-Apr-29, 07:57 PM
Ideas for future NASA funding X-Prizes:

The Current X-Prize: The first manned suborbital rocket capable of taking three people into space twice in two weeks using the same rocket.

1. The first private rocket to take three people into orbit twice in a month using the same rocket. ($25 million?)

2. The first private Low Earth Orbit space station, or component rated and approved for inclusion on the ISS. ($50-$100 million?)

3. The first private manned mission to the Moon. ($500 million?)

4. The first private mission to land on and mine material from an Earth orbit crossing asteroid, and return the 1000 tons of material safely to Earth. ($100-$200 million)

5. The first private mining settlement to be established on the Moon. ($1 billion?)

Anyone that can achieve these can then expand throught the solar system.

Nick4
2004-May-01, 09:42 PM
Thats cool i wish i could be there.

Algenon the mouse
2004-May-02, 01:57 AM
I think the prizes are a good idea because then some private companies will get involved and probably be able to help with NASA's budget.

I would love to be part of one or two.

Tom2Mars
2004-May-02, 05:38 AM
Hey John! Nice List!

Ideas for future NASA funding X-Prizes
Are bonus points offered if one person/group does all 5 in the list?

How about:

6. The first private vehicle to achieve orbit with more than 50% of the energy required coming directly from solar energy. B)

John
2004-May-03, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Tom2Mars@May 2 2004, 05:38 AM
How about:

6. The first private vehicle to achieve orbit with more than 50% of the energy required coming directly from solar energy. B)
Then I think Liftport (http://www.liftport.com/index.php) will be the first to achieve that. Their plan is to use solar power to generate microwave beams or lasers to power their lifters on the planned space elevator. Their goal is to get the first one up by 2016 for about $15 billion.