PDA

View Full Version : Forums Unite!

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-02, 07:11 PM
Man does the threat of an asteroid wipeing out the human race bother me :angry: !
Knowing that it can happen at any time without warning. And even if it was found before it were to hit the Earth, theres nothing we could do about it. So hears my idea: Somehow, the members of this forum and other forums on space, should get as many people possible to send e-mails and letters, urgeing the government to take the threat seriously. If the govenment dosn't do anything, we just send more letters and e-mails with more people backing us. We'll try to get as many people as possible in as many forums and e-mail addresses as possible. Well, what do you think, is it a plan or not. Try to get some moderator's attenion about this.

Josh
2004-May-03, 12:29 AM
Ziggy, perhaps you should write up a template letter and source the place we should all be sending these letters. then you'd have a much better chance that people would actually do it. The less work people have to do the more likely they are to do what you want.

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-03, 12:30 AM
Got it Josh :D !

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-03, 02:00 PM
I'm also gonna need to think of some cheap ideas and technologies that can deflect and asteroid. If, in the rare event that the government listens.

Fraser
2004-May-03, 07:00 PM
There are several organizations dedicated to protecting the Earth from an asteroid strike. Check out Spaceguard UK as a good place to start. They've been very active with the government, and have demonstrated that it's possible to get politicians to take this kind of thing very seriously.

http://www.spaceguarduk.com/

ASEI
2004-May-03, 07:12 PM
I don't think it would be too hard to stop, really. Launch a few nuclear warheads into oribit, and have them on standby, ready to launch on interception courses if we see an asteroid that will hit us. With concerted effort, I'm sure we could get months of warning before such an event happens.

imported_Ziggy
2004-May-03, 08:10 PM
If the asteroid threat is eliminated then thats just one more major threat to the human race that went down. And thats good :D ! Thanks for the link fraser.

emalcolml
2004-May-07, 12:42 AM
Fraser, I checked the Spaceguarduk link, and when you go into the detail, the UK govt is doing nothing more than "studying the case for.." some action or other. Zig, the only way you're going to get politicians to take seriously the problem of NEA's is to hit them with one. Perhaps if we launched a few nuclear weapons into space, ready to deflect a.............

DippyHippy
2004-May-09, 10:43 PM
I don't know if barraging folks with emails does any good... you're more likely to cause a nuisance than anything else. I'm guessing you're more likely to be treated as spammers. I used to be quite active on a fansite for the NBC show "Ed" and when that was threatened with cancellation a lot of people emailed various people at NBC and although they got themselves noticed, it wasn't necessarily in a good way.

Similarly, when I had to take time off work to donate bone marrow, my employers told me I had to take the time off work as either unpaid or I had to use my holiday entitlement to cover it. I was not pleased, especially since they were throwing away a great opportunity for some good publicity and I was all ready to go to the press and show them as the miserly gits they were. The Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust, which is the charity that paid for the procedure, advised me not to because it could look bad on the charity.

By mass emailing people, you could be doing more harm than good and you might find that legitimate organisations like Spaceguard are adversely affected as a result. Please bear in mind that the press is notoriously fickle - for Spaceguard and the Minor Planet Center to warn about the threat of errant asteroids is one thing (they are, after all, recognised scientific organisations with a fair amount of clout) but for a bunch of anonymous folks to send out emails left, right and centre to all and sundry will get you labelled as spammers or - worse - nutters and fruitcakes.

If you want to raise awareness, I'd do so by working with Spaceguard in some way. Contact them and ask their advice and offer your help. If you can write a few decent articles, do so, try to sell them to reputable magazines like Astronomy, S&T, National Geographic etc.

Give facts that mean something - for example, if everyone in the US gave $5, that would finance the hunt for NEO's WORLDWIDE for a year. People can relate to that. Show how that isn't enough. Don't scaremonger - give a balanced, realistic view of the current threat, research what we can do to spot them, deflect / destroy them and what the effects will be if one were to hit.

People will sit up and listen if you speak with knowledge and authority. No one will give you the time of day if you can't accurately answer their questions.

You've got a long road ahead of you but if you're dedicated and are determined to succeed and to do the best you can, then you'll get there.

Good luck!

kashi
2004-May-10, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ASEI@May 4 2004, 06:12 AM
I don't think it would be too hard to stop, really. Launch a few nuclear warheads into oribit, and have them on standby, ready to launch on interception courses if we see an asteroid that will hit us.
I think that the risk involved with launching a few nuclear warheads into orbit is FAR GREATER than the risk of a significant asteroid impact!

StarLab
2004-May-10, 01:04 PM
Yeah, but if we were to launch these weapons into orbit to take out an asteroid or the like, we wouldn't set in in an orbit around earth because we are not that stupid...we'd just send it straight to the asteroid or the like, no questions asked

Weaselbunny
2004-May-10, 03:46 PM
But if something happens during the launch or before leaving the atmosphere, we could end up with a load of radioactive badness in the atmosphere... then, basically, it's 'Goodnight Vienna'!

If, in the rare event that the government listens. Let's drop a huge boulder on parliament... then say "just imagine what would happen if it was travelling at a decent rate of knots!"

DippyHippy
2004-May-11, 01:25 AM
It's been said many times before (and with good reason) that blowing up an asteroid doesn't make any sense because you'd just be creating thousands of projectiles out of one. Even at a considerable distance a fair number of those will rain down on the Earth. True, you're not going to suffer possible extinction as a result, but the death toll and damage could still be catastrophic, worldwide.

The only useful purpose nuclear weapons would serve would be to *deflect* the asteroid - and that would only work if the rock is solid. If it's porous, as recent evidence has suggested many are, then a blast could still shatter it and you've got projectiles again.

StarLab
2004-May-11, 01:35 AM
My thoughts exactly, DH, you took the words right outta my mouth!... ;) :P :D :lol: B) :)

degeneration
2004-May-18, 12:44 PM
But surely if you did blow up an asteroid with a nuclear warhead or something like that, while you may create thousands of smaller projectiles instead of one huge asteroid, a large percentage of those smaller projectiles would burn up and disintegrate on entry through the atmosphere?

So even though thousands may have been created through blowing up the asteroid, comparitively few would actually impact on the ground. Granted those few may still have a death-toll, but a death toll even in the high thousands has got to be better than extinction!