PDA

View Full Version : Discussion: Great Wall From Space

Fraser
2004-May-11, 08:52 PM
SUMMARY: The European Space Agency's Proba satellite has taken a high resolution image of a segment of the Great Wall of China. There has been much debate about whether or not the wall is visible from space; Yang Liwei, China's first spacefarer, wasn't able to see it. Astronaut Eugene Cernan said that at an altitude of 160 km (100 miles), he was able to see it. Proba orbits at an altitude of 600 km (372 miles), and was designed to demonstrate several Earth observation techniques.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

John
2004-May-11, 08:58 PM
Is the Giza plateau and the Great Pyramid visible from space? I could swear I heard someone say they could see it...

Littlemews
2004-May-11, 11:24 PM
And Mt.everest as well LOL

galaxygirl
2004-May-12, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by John@May 11 2004, 04:58 PM
Is the Giza plateau and the Great Pyramid visible from space? I could swear I heard someone say they could see it...
I'm pretty sure you can see them from space.

Algenon the mouse
2004-May-12, 01:08 AM
From what I understand, the CIA can read your license numbers off the plate from your car in outerspace.

String Fan
2004-May-12, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Algenon the mouse@May 12 2004, 01:08 AM
From what I understand, the CIA can read your license numbers off the plate from your car in outerspace.
Now what the devil is my car doing in outerspace? :unsure:

kashi
2004-May-12, 11:21 AM
Being able to "see something from space" is such a vague notion. Are we talking about seeing stuff with the naked eye? What altitude does "from space" mean? Obviously powerful satellites can see stuff.

Ola D.
2004-Dec-15, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kashi@May 12 2004, 11:21 AM
Are we talking about seeing stuff with the naked eye? What altitude does "from space" mean?
I once read that the Great Wall of China can be viewd by the naked eye from the moon. I'll check it and see!

antoniseb
2004-Dec-15, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Ola D.@Dec 15 2004, 06:32 PM
I once read that the Great Wall of China can be viewd by the naked eye from the moon. I'll check it and see!
I would believe that the area surrounded by the great wall could be seen from the moon, the the great wall itself, I'm guessing not. I examined NASA's world-wind 10 meter resolution images [it's about ten, I'm not certain the exact precision], looking very hard to see the great wall, because my 3rd grade daughter wanted to see it. Modern roadways are more obvious in these images, and that's the sort of naked eye resolution someone with sharp eyes could see maybe from 25 miles up when the lighting is right. The moon is 10,000 times that far away.

Various Domed stadiums, the Pentagon, the Great Pyramid of Cheops at near sunset, are all things people have claimed to have seen from low orbit.

The polka-dots of Wyoming's circular farms should also be visible as green dots on a brick-red background.